Delta 44 Major Error! Help!!!!

Kaz

Heres the story

I got my Delta44 (right from GuitarCenter), took it home - read the instructions. I opened my comp. and put the Delta in an empty PCI slot (keeping my Creative SoundBlaster AudioPCI), turned the computer on - recorded a little something in Cool Edit, and it worked like a charm! So I turned the computer off for the night.
In the morning I booted the computer, went to Cool Edit, and hit 'Record' - The computer turned off, and restarted. I tried again, and the same thing happened. I then tried with N-Tracks, and once again the computer restarted - so I'm thinking "It must be the Delta and the SoundBlaster conflicting", I turned the computer off, took out the SoundBlaster card, booted the computer and all I got was the startup noise skipping for like 10seconds then the computer restarted itself, and it went into a cycle.
So I turned it off, took out the 44, put in the SB, turned the computer on - everything was fine. Turned the computer off, put the 44 in, turned the computer on - everything was fine, recorded in CEP, worked fine. Restarted the computer, went to CEP, hit 'record', computer restarted.
Then I took out the Delta44, booted, removed the SB from the "System Properties >> Device Manager", then turned it off again, took out the SB, and replaced it with the 44, worked good - restarted the computer, and it just did the skipping on the startup sound, and shut off again.

Right now I don't have a Soundcard in my computer, and I need some REAL help with getting the Delta 44 to work - if ANYONE could help me with this I'd be in much debt to you! I'm a graphics designer / webmaster, maybe that can be an insentive ;)

Thanks in advance,
- Kaz

Install the soundblaster, then boot. let windows recognize the hardware and do its little install routine. Then shut it down.

Install the Delta and boot again. Go through the install process again and reboot if prompted.

Boot again (my feet are starting to hurt).

Go into device manager and see if there are any conflicts. If there are no apparent conflicts and you still have the same problem....

You might try removing ACPI which windoze uses to put all of your PCI devices on 1 IRQ(!). I'm assuming that being a web designer, you're using an up to date OS and not something like Win98. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/support and do a search for 'Remove ACPI'. You should find the appropriate instructions. I'm sure google will also get you the same information.

If this doesn't work, you can always play musical PCI. With ACPI disabled, the PCI slot usually determines the IRQ (unless you change it manually, which you can't do sometimes). Swap the cards around until you find a combination that works.

Does your motherboard have onboard audio? If so, disabling it in the BIOS might also help.

See if any of that helps

Blah blah blah....yadda yadda yadda...nerd crap....pocket protector my ass.... :)

HOLLY SHID!! It looks like if I try to remove the ACPI it's going to be a pain in my ass. Umm, can you hit me up on AOL/AIM
Screen Name = 'SiQazFuQ'

About the IRQ thing, umm, when I go to device manager, and click computer - and IRQ, I see that the M-Audio Delta 44 is on #03, and #03 hosts a total of FOUR different Items, maybe this is why?

ohh, and the SB is on a different IRQ

Attachments

• lala.gif
    lala.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 67
you need to fiddle around with your PCI cards and get the delta44 on it's own IRQ - it doesn't like to share - and I see that yours sharing with a video card.

i hear that the top pci slot and the agp video slot commonly share the same irq- is your delta in the top slot? if it is stick the delta 44 in a different pci slot- its a start

Back