Delta 44+DMP3 OR OmniStudio (PCI or USB)?

Nutdotnet

Quick Q-

I noticed, for whatever reason, M-Audio's stuff has dropped in price, significantly.

I currently have a Delta 44 + a DMP3, as well as a Joe Meek VQ3. Would it be beneficial, worth my time, etc, to get either a PCI or USB Omni Studio and get rid of the Delta 44 and DMP3? Reason I ask is I like the interface the Omni I/O offers. in addition it would be less cluttered. All I do is acoustic and vocals, primarily because my bass was stolen! :(

Any advice would be great!

I use a delta 44 and dmp3 as well. I don't have any hands on experience with the omni-studio, but I would bet a large ammount of money that your pre-amps on your joe meek and the dmp3 are vastly better than those on the omni-studio. I would also bet the converters on the delta44 and the omni-studio are so similar (if not the same) that you won't be able to tell a difference.

If I were you I'd keep what I've got - I seriously doubt that the omni-studio would give you much of an improvement at all (probably would sound worse if you ditched your outboard pre's). If you want portability then firewire is probably a better bet than USB. I've heard lots of bad things about USB interfaces. If I were you (which my set-up is pretty much identical, except for the joe meek), I'd look into upgrading with an E-Mu 1820M for PCI, or, even better, a MOTU 828mkII for firewire, and I'd use the dmp3 and meek with them. Those are pricier, but I doubt anything cheaper would give you a noticeable increase.

Just my 2 cents. It's easy to get caught up thinking something else would make your sound better, but almost always it's a matter of learning how to use what you've got better, not buying different stuff.

If you want to hear the kind of sound I've got from my 44 and dmp3, check out "Something Better" on this page: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=261004&T=3503. I listed how and what I used to record all the tracks in it. Better mic's might be another aspect to look into.

Do you have any of your stuff available? If so I'd love to hear it. Maybe we could share some pointers on how to get the most out of our similar gear.

Thanks for the advice! I thought the DMP3 Pre was better than the OmniStudio's pres but I also heard, quite some time ago, that they were near identical to each other. I was looking for a setup with less clutter, but then again, it's not THAT much less cluter.

Man, that sounds pretty good!

Unfortunately, I don't have anything available. I have been out of the recording loop for nearly two years now. All my stuff has been sitting collecting dust. I'm just now wanting to get into it again. I'm a better songwriter than I used to be and have a few things I want to lay down.

That being said, I'm always more than happy to get any "general" advice you may be able to give me.

Thanks!

Hey thanks for the compliment! I'm not too educated on the omni-studio, so your info about the pre's being really close is probably right. It's all made my the same company, so I could see how they would be very similar.

What mic's do you have? I upgraded to the studio projects c1 from an old superlux LDC, and the difference is pretty noticeable. I used to have to eq the crap out of everything, and now I can just let it sit in the mix as it was recorded. Having mic's that let the source sound like it's supposed to is a big deal. I try and not eq any more than I have to - the sound is much more natural that way.

I also went with a pair of MXL 603s's, and I like the sound on the acoustic guitar I can get with them.

What kind of songs do you write? I find that anything I write now is way better than anything I wrote when I started a few years ago. Just like everything - you get better with practice.

I write the same type of stuff you do. My biggest influence is Ben Harper, by far.

What do I have...hmm...I HAD a Rode NTK before it was stolen, along with my Warwick bass! :mad: So now all I have is a Rode NT1 and two Rode NT3s (I think that's what they are). I've heard good things about the C1 and the 603s, especially for the price.

BTW- I especially liked, "When you say nothing at all" That's a great song to uh...yeah...pick up on the ladies. ;)

Nutdotnet said:
BTW- I especially liked, "When you say nothing at all" That's a great song to uh...yeah...pick up on the ladies. ;)

Haha, thanks! Yeah, I've never actually picked up any ladies with that one, or any song for that matter (though every time I break out in that song I hear lots of "oohhhh, I loove this song" kind of thing. I can't complain, though - I've got quite the lady.

I also think those Rode mic's will do just fine. Too bad you lost your NTK - I've heard that one is sweet.

BJW said:
I also think those Rode mic's will do just fine. Too bad you lost your NTK - I've heard that one is sweet.

Yeah, it WAS. haha....

I'll mess around with what I got and eventually post some stuff.

Thanks again.

hey bro, long time no see......

the Omni Studio uses DMP2 design, which isnt far behind the DMP3.....i cant tell the difference between the 2......probably a little cleaner than the Joe Meek, but the compressor is really sweet.......

unless you need the routing options, id stay where you were......

Gidge said:
hey bro, long time no see......

the Omni Studio uses DMP2 design, which isnt far behind the DMP3.....i cant tell the difference between the 2......probably a little cleaner than the Joe Meek, but the compressor is really sweet.......

unless you need the routing options, id stay where you were......

Hey bud, I was just gonna say the same darn thing, how ya been?

Yeah, I'm just gonna stick with what I have...easier to deal with that way!

Back