Delta 44 and pre-amps

rapedbyape

Is it absolutely neccesary to run instruments/microphones through a pre-amp/mixer before inserting them into the Delta 44 breakout box? What would be the likely outcome if you didn't and, for example, just plugged a microphone cable straight into one of the inputs?

The box inputs don't have any gain. Synths, amp direct outs, drum machines and guitar FX are line line level, so they will work well enough, but mics definately need a preamp.

OK, thanks. Would a mixer do the job or would I need to buy a load of pre-amps?

N.B. Presuming a mixer did the same job (as I think I have read elsewhere on this forum), could anyone reccomend a mixer with more than two output channels? I only own a Behringer MX-802A, and if I were to get a Delta 44 and record drums I would want to use all four channels. Presumably I would need a mixer with at least four outputs that could be assigned to individual tracks, which can't be done with the MX-802A.

Last edited:
With a Dfx 12 I have compressors on mic 1 & 2 using inserts Coming off the the ring return out of the compressor feed 3/4 in on the breakout box respectively. 3/4 out on the breakout box can go to any unused channels on the mixer. Breaker box 1/2 out I have routed to 9/10 * 11/12 left mono in to mixer. I have the record out rewired to 1/4 " plugs goin to 1/2 in on the breakout box. Would have been easier to draw a shematic...

This is a karaoke system and using sonar 3 I can record both mics no efx, music on another track using M-Audio mixer out (wav 1/2 soloed) for input and record mixer out with full effects using 1/2 input on another trk simultaneously.

Next step is another Delta 44 Then back to the drawing board.....

Back