Delta 44 and mixer or Delta omni

Boseafus

I can't really decide on what to do here so I thought I would start a new thread and have you all help me out:

I want to do basic recording (guitar, vocals, bass, synth stuff). I definately want a Delta 44 or 66 (s/pdif isn't that important to me), but can't decide if I should go the Omni route or use a mixer with the delta. I can get a Behringer mixer (lets not start a flame thread on B. products) for a decent price. What route would you use and...er...why?

Which of these would you use?
EURORACK® MX1604A (I'm leaning towards this one)

<http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=MX1604A&lang=eng>
Or
EURORACK® MX802A

<http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=MX802A&lang=eng>

or

EURORACK® MXB1002

<http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=MXB1002&lang=eng>

Thanks in advance.

B

I have a Audiophile and Beh 602a.... now I only use the mixer for monitoring routing and using the pre of my VC3Q...

I would definately suggest the Omni route, which will give you a superior quality....

I have a Delta 66 and an SB Live and a Behringer MX1604A. If you go this route, definitley get the 1604 rather than the 802, since it has two independent pairs of outputs, the main 1-2 bus and the alt 3-4 bus, which the 802 does not have. (Not sure about the other model you mentioned).

thanks folks....

Anymore input from those with the omni???

BTW...Alchuck, how do you run both sound cards...don't they interfere with each other?

No, they both work just fine together. I use the SB Live as my workaday synth -- with a few good Sound Fonts it does the job very satisfactorily. The Delta's for recording my guitar playing, singing (actually, croaking) and other audio sources.

check this stuff out. i do what you want to do. but now i need to pay rent.

1- Delta 44 Soundcard w/ breakout box
(4 stereo ins, 4 stereo outs) !!BRAND NEW!! - $200 obo

1- Behringer Eurorack MX 2004A
(16 channel, 4 buss mixer) !!BRAND NEW!! - $250 obo

1- Peavey mark III live sound mixer
(12 channels, perfect working order) !!USED!! - $100 obo

1- Shure SM57 Mic !!BRAND NEW!! -make an offer

1- Shure SM48 Mic !!BRAND NEW!! -make an offer

3- Audio Technica Midnight Blues Condenser mics !!BRAND NEW!!
-make an offer

3- Samson R-11 mics !!USED!! -make an offer

2- Tripod Boom mic stands !!USED!! -make an offer

3- Straight Weighted Mic stands !!USED!! -make an offer

1- Weighted Boom mic stand !!USED!! -make an offer

6- 20' mic cords !!USED!! -make an offer

2- 50' mic cords !!USED!! -make an offer

various instrument cables !!USED!! -make an offer

1- pop filter !!BRAND NEW!! -free if ya buy a few mics or make an offer.

1- AKG K-301 headphone moniters !!BRAND NEW!! -make an offer

i need money bad!!!!!!!!!
shortfuserecords@yahoo.com
i have much more stuff and i will be adding it later.

Brandon ShortFuse

I appreciate you posting your gear for sale but I'm not really interested. You might want to ebay the gear. You will most likely get the price you desire.

B

Boseafus,

I use the SB Live that was bundled as the MP3+ model -- not the Value version, but the same card as in the Platinum model sans the Live Drive. But the only difference, I think, was the connectivity (maybe no S/PDIF on the Value? - or no way to add a LiveDrive later if you wanted? - I don't know). But others use the Audigy, I'm sure, and it works for them, too.

Boseafus -

Whatever you do, don't get the 1002. It's made for field work, and the specs on it are totally different (and not in a good way...). The 1604 is nice. I have one and enjoy it.

Oren

i have a berhinger 802a - and am going to the store next weekend to get my delta 44.

hopefully this will work out how i'm hoping - if i am correct - i should be able to get at least 3 indipendant signals from the mixer to the delta. If i'm not correct, then i'll be needing a mixer (or something) that has 4 mic ins and 4 outs for each.

the mixer works great though.

I think that I am going the omni route just because it seems, "more compact." Space is an issue and the omni seems to fit my needs plus it doesn't take up too much space. I have read a few reviews that give the omni high marks. And...if I ever what to go with a nice mixer...I can.

B

Allow me to second Aren about the MXB1002. If you ever plan to use mics requiring phantom power, stay away!

The phantom voltage is only 23v, as opposed to the 48v standard. I bought mine without doing enough research, and now I have to buy a new mixer. :(

I would really recommend the Omni Studio over any Behringer mixer. MAudio has a really good reputation, while Behringer is known for poor quality control and industrial espionage.

The only Behringer product I would recommend is the ECM8000 small diaphragm condensor mic, which everyone should have two of.

shackrock, the 802 only has a stereo output, so you'll only be able to get two separate signals out of it. The 1604 has two pairs of outputs, the main pair and the so-called ALT 3-4 bus. Very worth the exctrs $50-60.
By the way, love your avatar, Jessica Rabbit is one of the all-time babes...

I've read good reviews of the Omni, but don't own one. I do have the MX1604A and it works great for me. Have a mixer with a bunch of tracks is nice even when you're only recording a few at a time. When I have friends over to record we can get everyone plugged into the mixer and then just turn on the channel for whichever instrument(s) is recording. No cable swapping or level resetting.

on my 802, though - i should be able to get at least 1 out of the aux channels though, correct? (pre gain and post gain for the aux)

Shackrock -

I'm beginning to get the feeling you don't trust me ;)

It works. Believe me. I use it every day.

Oren

:D

Well....

I've been using the OMNI w/Delta 66 for about a month now...and all I can say is "the audio quality is really great".....

My guitars, keyboards, mic's, etc are all just sounding real pro thru this little box....and the best part about it....is once it's set up for recording, etc....I don't even have to touch the settings...In fact, I haven't even looked at the software 'control panel' for the past 2-3 weeks.

The pre-amps are just what ya need for that guitar, mic boost /signal input, and the two headphone OUTS with their own gain are a nice touch as well...plug in your active monitor speakers to the L&R monitor OUTS (also with their own gain control) and whammo - the sound is awesome!

This card is so damn quiet (ie: background noise) I can't even tell the bloody thing is 'turned on' until I hit a string or key, even at MAX VOL level...

I simply can't imagine finding a better small-studio set-up for under $500 USD (I paid $789 CAD here in Toronto).....

and, with the OMNI and a decent someftware prog (ie: Cubase, etc..) ya don't even really need any mixer....although the OMNI is equipped with several OUTS for link-up to external hardware - if thats your preferrence..

Check it out, for the money ya can't beat it IMO :-)

Regards,

KEV

Back