Delta 1010 Died?

mentalattica

Just a Home Recorder
I have 2 questions that maybe some Delta 1010 owners and general M-audio owners as well can answer.

I have owned my Delta 1010 for about 7 months now, it worked flawlessly up until today (under heavy operation recently). I finished mixing a song earlier this afternoon, burned a CD and took a ride. When I returned to fine tune the mix my 1010 was powered off even though the PC was still running and my multi-track session was still up, which indicated there had been no power outage and would have been highly unlikely in any event.

I restarted my PC, the 1010 would not power up even though I heard the click that the breakout box usually makes when my PC restarts. My initial opinion was a burned out power light until I got a hum which I would guess is around 90-110hz, it was louder in outputs 2, 4, and 6. 1, 3, 5 and 8 weren't as loud.

I ran though the basic trouble shooting, unplugged all inputs and all outputs and ran 1 monitor into each output and that's how I found it was louder in certain outputs. I tested my power source (2 Power Conditioners and seperate wall outlets), swapped the power cable with another 9v power cable, tried every PCI slot in 2 seperate PC's only for nothing to change.

Being this is a 7 month old interface that has not abused in any way in a smoke free enviornment, I can't figure out why it just died out of the blue without showing any signs after a 10 minute car ride. I have contacted M-Audio tech support requesting a RA# and will be waiting for their response on Monday, so all the common sense things have been covered.

My 2 questions are:

1. Has anyone experienced this problem or something of this nature and what was the cause of the problem and outcome?

2. Has anyone sent a M-Audio product back for repair and how long did the whole process take?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mentalattica said:
I have 2 questions that maybe some Delta 1010 owners and general M-audio owners as well can answer.

I have owned my Delta 1010 for about 7 months now, it worked flawlessly up until today (under heavy operation recently). I finished mixing a song earlier this afternoon, burned a CD and took a ride. When I returned to fine tune the mix my 1010 was powered off even though the PC was still running and my multi-track session was still up, which indicated there had been no power outage and would have been highly unlikely in any event.

I restarted my PC, the 1010 would not power up even though I heard the click that the breakout box usually makes when my PC restarts. My initial opinion was a burned out power light until I got a hum which I would guess is around 90-110hz, it was louder in outputs 2, 4, and 6. 1, 3, 5 and 8 weren't as loud.

I ran though the basic trouble shooting, unplugged all inputs and all outputs and ran 1 monitor into each output and that's how I found it was louder in certain outputs. I tested my power source (2 Power Conditioners and seperate wall outlets), swapped the power cable with another 9v power cable, tried every PCI slot in 2 seperate PC's only for nothing to change.

Being this is a 7 month old interface that has not abused in any way in a smoke free enviornment, I can't figure out why it just died out of the blue without showing any signs after a 10 minute car ride. I have contacted M-Audio tech support requesting a RA# and will be waiting for their response on Monday, so all the common sense things have been covered.

My 2 questions are:

1. Has anyone experienced this problem or something of this nature and what was the cause of the problem and outcome?

2. Has anyone sent a M-Audio product back for repair and how long did the whole process take?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

when you plug into Two different outlets you creat a ground loop. which renders the ground usless. so u might of had a surge

my mobile pre sometimes turns off, works after restart.
I contacted m-audio and they asked a few questions and didnt help me at all, it hasnt done it in a few months but at the time it was only 4 months old.

There might be some sort of Internal fuse that has blown of a wire or solder joint has come loose.....

Hopefully they will fix it for you but if they say something like your gaurantee has run out or something them you might want to take a Look inside and see if there is anything that looks out of place....

I hope you get this resolved....

Good luck

i had two that had start up problems i returned them to m-audio and it took 2 months for them to decide that they were broken beond repair and then they replaced them.

you get a years gaurantee.

did you get them from a local shop ? you could allways ask if they would lend you a rack whilst you'rs are at m-audio.(allways worth a try)

axeman_ukl said:
it took 2 months for them to decide that they were broken beond repair and then they replaced them.

:eek: That's what I'm afraid of, being more than a week or 2 without an interface. I did get it from a local shop which other than having gear, sucks.

fortress1w said:
did you ever get your Delta figured out. I am experiencing the same problem with mine.

Hi,
This, I've found, has gotten my delta's up and running before...it may not work for you though.....but it can't hurt.

anyway.....just to humour me....try the following.

1) Power off!!!.....Remove Delta's PCI card.

2) please delete all Delta software from your system, then reload the latest drivers from M-Audio...switch off PC.

3) Find a different PCI slot location for the card....and re-install the card.

It's easier JUST TO TRY THIS than to deal with warranty/repairs.....and hey, it may even solve 'an' issue. (for the card anyway.)

Let me know how you go?

Kindest Regards,
Superspit.

if it's defo. the powere supply you used to be able to order new ones straight from the m-audio site.

I own a 1010 and occasionally have the same problem. I simply plug out and in the power cable in the back of the breakout, so I'm guessing the problem is poor electrical contact....

sorry to bump an old thread - Im having the same problem with mine, just started today out of the blue. im awaiting a reply from M audio.

Did your problem ever get solved? do you have any tips?

nhomme said:
I own a 1010 and occasionally have the same problem. I simply plug out and in the power cable in the back of the breakout, so I'm guessing the problem is poor electrical contact....

when i spoke to m-audio they said that was a power suppy issue (not having enough power to trip the relay in the rack to tell it to power up) or the relay its self being faulty.

Same thing happened to mine awhile back. Decided to take a chance and built my own supply, hasn't crapped out yet. I ordered a backup just in case.

I just came across this old post after having more trouble with my 1010. Sorry guys I didn't realize there were follow up post a few months later. Anyways, it was a blown capacitor (atleast that's what M-Audio told me at the time). Sadly it's happened again.

Looks like I have to send it off again and this time it isn't under warranty. :mad:

If it is a Blown Cap it should be easy enough to fix yerself as long as it"s a SMT Capacitor and you can see which cap is blown...

Cheers

I considered it being that I'm a big DIYer, but I suck with a soldering iron. I'd probably just make matters worse. :( Anyone have any idea what M-Audio charges for this procedure?

I have sent in my Delta 1010s (I have 3 of them) for years after the warranty expired.
They fixed it and returned it for basically the price of return postage.
I don't think I have ever been charged more than about $30.

In my personal opinion M-Audio has always been first rate with their service.
Yes it may take a month or so.

Thanks for the info. Anything under $50 is pretty acceptable, I'll probably send it on in to M-Audio. I can do a month w/o it, I have a Firewire Solo to fallback on for instances like this.

Now, on to figuring out how to live with only 2 inputs :confused:

BTW Tmix, I have a friend who recently moved to Mansfield, TX and they love it there.

I really like it here too.
Not the biggest music scene, but close enough to Dallas and Fort Worth to give me some work and play.

Back