Delta 1010 and outboard effects ... help

mcr

I'm new to this so please throw me some 2 cents ...

I don't have an external mixer ... so how would I use my outboard RNC (compressor)? I was thinking that I could have a signal go into input 1, have that signal routed to output 4 and connect output 4 with the RNC ... then connect the RNC send to another input ....
Is that a common way to do it or do I need an external mixer with FX sends and returns???

That sounds right to me. I have a 1010, doesn't the manual have a section in it were it shows diagrams for just this sort of thing? I don't have it here, but I'm pretty sure it does.

I couldn't find any info on routing effects in the manual of the 1010 ... even though I don't own the 1010 yet so it might be coming with the printed manual.

thanks for your answer .... :)

That's cool. I think MAudio has the manual online somewhere...at least they used to.

It doesn't matter anyway, I'm looking at the manual and I was wrong. The diagrams don't show this type of connection. What you described sounds right to me.

If you do that of course you will be tying up one or more inputs... plus you'll be introducing the computer's latency into the equation -- the sound will be digitized, routed through the Delta mixer, converted back to analog, then redigitized after passing through the compressor, back through the Delta mixer to get recorded, and finally back out to the analog realm to the speakers...

A far better approach is to use a mixer as a control center and treat the analog inputs of the Delta as if they were the analog inputs of a multitrack tape recorder.

Not exactly sure what you want to do...

By "outboard effect," I assume you mean processing a pre-recorded signal. In this case you'd assign that signal in your computer, represented as WAV OUT 1(or 2, or 3, or 1,2 if stereo etc.), to an external output. You choose the WAV OUT # in your tracking/mixing/mastering software. You then assign this WAV OUT to an actual hardware out on the DELTA. This is easily and quickly done in the DELTA's control panel software which can and usually should be run at the same time as your tracking app. Of course this out goes to the RNC In, the RNC Out goes to a Delta in, which I assume you'll want to assign to a track in your tracking app.

When you say "have a signal go into input 1," it make me think you're wondering about using the RNC *during* recording. In this case, you won't want to go into the Delta first. Go into the RNC first and then the Delta. If you're thinking you want to go into the delta first because you want to be able to just leave everything connected and not have to keep reattaching cables when you need or don't need the RNC, then what you typed makes sense. However, many people here would say that is too much in the signal chain, since you're going through A/D conversion twice, and D/A conversion once. The delta 1010 converters are supposed to be very good, however, and I personally wouldn't be too concerned about it, but I'm not a hardcore signal freak.

Thanks Ap ... your second paragraph answered my question. As you figured there, my plan would be to use the compressor pre-recording ...

I guess my conclusion would be to follow your advice by putting the comp between the pre-amp and the D-1010 ... thus avoiding a longer signal chain + multiple conversions. This shoud give my vocal recordings the best quality

Thanks again ...

Back