Delicate Flowers

Aren

Hi guys,

Here is a song written by a friend of mine. I wrote a string quartet arrangement for it, and sequenced it. Yesterday we layed down the vocals for it.
Bare in mind, that this is strictly a demo. Our intwention was to have an example of how it should be played, so we can actually interest string players to come and record with us. I am aware there are a few slight timing mistakes (He needs to work on it. No excuses).
The strings are, of course, just a soundfont (a really good one, IMO, but still a soundfont). Vocals were recorded with a MXL 1006 and a DMP2 pre-amp.

Tell me what you think, I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Oren

Pretty good but the deep bass cellos (panned hard L+R) are really dominating my headphones making it very hard to hear the vocals. Also, the timing is off on the vocals I believe, something is just not right there, it seems like your behind or ahead of the instruments.

I Agree about the timing thing. I have yet to figure out of the singer was out of practice or I have some weird latency problem withmy new setup. I also figured the vocals were a tad low (or the orchestration a tad loud). I'll try and remix it tomorrow, when my ears are fresh.

Oren

this gets a 10 outta 10 from me for the simple fact that its the first thing that I heard from israel that isnt mind numbing repetitive trance!

that must be HARD to sing over only strings!

Am I the only one that would LOVE to hear a remix where some drums and bass kick in ? :)

I keep waiting for them to jump in

HELLO:

THIS

IS

cOoL

&

STUFF !!!!!

(sorry I have no more, but my mix comments suck - I mean, my comments suck...I don't think your mix does. SEE WHAT I MEAN?

I really liked the strings.. the song was good.. I agree with pipeline about expecting drums to come in.. I like the mood of this tune because it is sad.. :)

Thanks for the listenings guys!
Personally, I agree about the need for drums or something of a sort to kick in, but I'll tell you the truth - this arrangement is something that Itay (the singer/songwriter) asked me to do with a very specific idea of what it should be like. The idea is to take several of his songs (3 or 4 of them), and arrange them only for a string quartet. We are hoping to find a real string quartet to record, so this is a demo to show people what we mean exactly. I might post another recording of this song, which is just Itay accompanying himself with a 12 string guitar (a live recording, actually), just to show the difference from the original version of the song.
I actually got the idea to arrange this song in this manner while sitting for hours and hours in the Montreal airport waiting for a connection. When I came back, I told Itay about my idea, and he confessed me that he's been dreaming of something of a sort for ages, so I took it as a project. This is my first attempt to arrange for a string quartet so I'm glad you guys liked it :D

Pipeline - I'm so sorry that Trance music is what comes to your mind when you hear the world Israel. :D There are plenty of great musicians here in every style known to man. I have yet to figure out why the electronic scene is so famous abroad and the "real" musicians remain annonymous. Maybe it's a language/accent thing...

Thanks again.

Oren

Keep it up

I like it. Kinda reminds me of some older Depeche Mode stuff. I hope that doesnt affend you. Martin gore did alot of stuff like that. Strings and vocals with a solid melody.

Brian

Hey SixStrings,

Since Depeche Mod is one of Itay's favourite bands, I guess the comparison is a compliment. :-) I'll sure pass it on to him!

Thanks!

Oren

Cool song, very unique. I agree, I'm expecting some really funky percussion, or a nice distorted guitar with bass and drums. But I like this the way it is too. Nice sounding strings and the vocals are clean and clear. Must be hard to sing over just a quartet. The timing is funny, but not bothersome. Just unexpected I think. Good job! :cool: :D

The quartet was nice. The tune was quite nice.

I thought there were more than a few sections where there were just too many words trying to be crammed into a small amount of space. The singer was having to quickly sing the words to get them in. A pitch issue or two on the voice (on the "oohhh's" in the middle).

Like someone else mentioned, this could work with some drums, guitars, etc. Maybe bring 'em in in the second verse... I think that would kick it up a notch.

Back