Deleting waves

Shana

Hi:)

OK Ive recorded almost all the tracks for my new cd and now I've started exporting them so i can burn them and send them for copies.

Few questions:

1)What kinda file do I want to make them into? I tried .Wav files at first but real player and windows media player wouldnt play them back let alone burn them on the cd. I made like 10 wav files and only two of them were playable , the rest made this crazy loud noise instead. So i tried a .wma? and those tracks played beautifully in real player and everwhere else but i couldnt burn them to the blank cd. Basically, anyone using sonar and windows xp know the best way to burn tracks? If someone else was to add a track to my pre-exisiting tracks id bring them a wav file?

2)The messed up wav files do not delete from my music folder. I get some sort of error message/Can it be theyre locked or protected somewhere else?

3)I have cd burning software . Do i need to get yet another program for ripping, if i wanna import a track from an audio cd into sonar for tweaking?

Thanks so much for whatever help.
My cd is on its way:)
Shana

Sounds like you have something in a temp folder messing things up. If you know how to get to the hidden temp folder in the documents and settings folder, try deleting everything in it.

there's another temp folder in the WINNT folder. that is easy to get to, empty that.

If you cant get to the hidden folder let me know, I'll try to explain how to get to it. I can't say it will solve your problem. they should be cleared regularly anyway.

another thing to try is saving """"ALL"""" your projects as bundles (.CWB) and deleting everything else cakewalk produced. the sound data, the picture cache, normal projects, etc...
then open the CWB files and try creating .wav again, you can save them as normal projects again if you want.

when you have your CWB you should back them up to CD just to be safe, you may have a bigger problem that requires reformatting your hard drive.

Hope you get it fixed, I read your posts in the other forums and it sounds like your cd's about ready to go.

??? what versions of Sonar, Windows XP, CD Burning software are you using???

Shana -

In general, you will want to export your projects as a .wav files. However, in order to burn to CD the files will need to be 16 bit files at a 44,100 sample rate (they also need to be 16 bit to be playable by Media Player). If you are exporting 24 bit files, this could be one of your problems.

Do not export as .wma or .mp3 as these are lossy formats and will give you lesser quality than .wav.

As torpid asked, let us know what burning software you are using. You are correct, in order to extract music from an audio CD, you will need a ripping program - however, many CD burning programs have ripping capabilities. Media Player will also rip, but only to .wma format. You want to be able to rip to .wav format in order to import into Sonar.

I haven't done it for a while, but I believe Sonar can import directly from a audio cd. Go to file dropdown menu and click on import files then find your cd rom drive click on it then open the track you want to import,should work no fuss, no muss.

I haven't done it for a while, but I believe Sonar can import directly from a audio cd. Go to file dropdown menu and click on import files then find your cd rom drive click on it then open the track you want to import,should work no fuss, no muss.
I thought you had just taught me a new Sonar trick, Keith, but I just tried it and no-go.

Maybe I'm missing a step?

musicmatch

I dont know if this will help, because Im a newbie, and have not had the first bit of trouble by using musicmatch, Its easy and flawless and the cd file sounds great. it also gives you a choice of mp3 or audio to the CD. There is a trial version available for free download, Id give it a try. If I can use it without error ANYONE can.

try it again Dachay2tnr,it definately works. I just went in the studio and loaded up Chasing Shadows by Deep Purple from a store bought CD to verify.I meant go to import audio in the file dropdown even though I said it was import file,browse to your cdr or rom and open it then just double click whichever track you want to load.Sonars progress bar will say loading stereo data, and away you go.

Keith T -

I actually don't need this capability as I have plenty of ripping software, however, I do like to keep abreast of the various capabilities of Sonar. So this is starting to p*ss me off.

Here's the deal:

I open a new project in Sonar. I select an empty audio track and I go to File -> Import Audio. I navigate to my CD-RW and. . . . . . .
I see absolutely no files whatsoever (the file type selection is All Audio).

If I change the file type selection to All Files, I get Track1.cda, Track2.cda, etc. But when I try to open any of these files I get an error message (Direct Show Error. The Format Is Not Supported).

I am very suspicious that you have some type of software installed on your computer that allows you to see and convert Audio CD Tracks to Wave Files on the fly. I still don't think that Sonar has native ripping capabilites. But I'm willing to be proved wrong. What am I missing here??

When you select Import Audio, how are the CD Tracks showing up? As .wav files, or as .cda files? Or as something else?

keith turner said:
try it again Dachay2tnr,it definately works. I just went in the studio and loaded up Chasing Shadows by Deep Purple from a store bought CD to verify.I meant go to import audio in the file dropdown even though I said it was import file,browse to your cdr or rom and open it then just double click whichever track you want to load.Sonars progress bar will say loading stereo data, and away you go.
It will work if you have an early(?) version of Winamp installed, I think. Winamp has/had an add-on program that makes wave-files of the AudioCD directly, meaning you can browse the AudioCD as it was made of .wav's. Neat! But then I upgraded Winamp, and I couldn't do it anymore...:mad:

Could it be something like that??

Sorry to cause you pain,Dachay2tnr. I took it for granted that Sonar was able to rip. I don't rip into Sonar much except to occasionally compare levels.
Maybe Moskus is on to something since I am running Win98se. I am not really sure how to verify that winamp is the reason I am able to do this,but I too am very curious now.
Here is what I can tell you about my setup:
1.Nothing loads on startup but explorer and systray
2.I use an old Plextor 20x8 scsi cdr transplanted from 2 previous daws.The plextor comes with it's own ripping software but is not active unless initiated by me.
3.The CD in the plextor shows up as Audiofs when I browse to it from Sonar.
4.After I click on Audiofs E the the tracks are listed as .wav with the windows logo icon next to them.
5.I cannot single click on the tracks,I have to double-click my choice,then the cdr starts spinning and Sonar taskbar reads loading stereo data.
6.I don't know anything about winamp unfortunately.I am assuming it is an integral part of the operating system,though I cannot find a folder for it in 98se or on my system.
7.P.S. I have the file type dropdown set to all audio,and the attributes reads Unknown,hence the windows logo,I guess.

Yeah, something funny is going on. I'll take a bet that if you look at an audio CD using Windows Explorer the Tracks will also show up as .wav files.

In Windows, when you view an audio CD, the Tracks should show up as .cda files (which isn't really a file at all, it's just the way windows sees audio tracks). Normally you should see track01.cda, track02.cda, track03.cda, and so on. The fact that you are seeing the tracks as wave files makes me think there is some other software working there (something like what moskus alluded to).

BTW, winamp is not part of the OS. It is standalone software which can play .mp3's and .wav files and other music formats(similar to Windows Media Player). Maybe it's the Plextor software. If have a Plextor also, but I never loaded the software that came with it. Might be time to take a look - you have my curiousity tweaked.

You are correct,the tracks do show as .wav without going into sonar.I did a file search for audiofs and audiofs.vxd came up with this path:C/windows/system/iosubsystem.
I just checked the properties of the burner with a cd in it:
General tab lists the label as AUDIOFS
Details tab lists;Audiofs installed,YES,firmware vers 1.18
There is also a check box in the settings tab for Audiofs.

Thanx for all the answers. I figured out how to delete the waves. When I'm in Sonar and I export a new file I can see the existant files in the folder. THERE is where they have to be deleted. I'm using a program for burning and I just forgot the name. Somethign burning room and its pretty simple. Yesterday i ran into a problem putting more than one song on a blank cd. ASome error message about using the wrong cd-r. I think it may have been set to re-write instead of simple adding to the cd. But i did manage to burn a couple of track and i will upload soon. Sonar is amazing. I'm so happy with it. La di da!

Shana:)

Back