"Delete unnecessary data" on a BR-532

hiwatt357

Ok, so last weekend I tracked a song using my "new" Boss BR-532 (well, new to me). I used 4 tracks, had mixed it down to mp3 and backed up the song folder on my PC. I had not deleted the song off the card, so I knew I'd have limited room, but I tracked drums for a new song idea on one of the V-tracks and started to track a bassline, but the card ran out of room. I figured this would happen, so I didn't sweat it.

Last night, I decided to re-visit said song idea and just punch in the remaining bassline and track guitar, etc. In order to do this, I knew I'd have to delete the other 4 tracks from the previous song. So, I did this. Deleted all of the tracks from the other song, leaving only the new drum track and partial bass track. I program the punch-in and punch-out spots, adjust the level of my bass and attempt to record. When I hit record, I got the "ERROR! Card Full" error. WTF?!?! I deleted all of the other tracks, so why would this happen?

I went to the Utility page and checked the song information, and it said the song was taking up 30 MB (it's a 32 MB card). How could 30 MB be taken up when I erased the other tracks? I checked the manual, and it said that when you get the Card Full error, you need to "Delete unnecessary data". Didn't erasing the other tracks do that?

I figured that maybe I needed to erase that "song", so I did that, and in the process I lost the 2 new tracks...which, actually, was OK because I had goofed up on the drums, but still. Why does erasing tracks not free up memory like it would seem it should?

Anyone know what you have to do to actually delete data on this thing without erasing the entire "song"?

Thanks in advance.

You probably need to "optimize." That's what it's called on the other Roland recorders.

Even though you have "erased" the tracks...there is still an "undo" function so if you made a mistake, you can return to the previous state.

So the tracks are still there on the card, just in case you wanted to undo it.

Once you optimize...it will zap the tracks...and free up the space. You can't perform an "undo" after this though...they'll be gone forever.

But that's what you want.

Wish14 said:
You probably need to "optimize." That's what it's called on the other Roland recorders.

Even though you have "erased" the tracks...there is still an "undo" function so if you made a mistake, you can return to the previous state.

So the tracks are still there on the card, just in case you wanted to undo it.

Once you optimize...it will zap the tracks...and free up the space. You can't perform an "undo" after this though...they'll be gone forever.

But that's what you want.

I checked the manual in regards to the "optimize" function and yeah...that's what I'm seeking.

Thank you very much for the reply. :)

Back