delay when monitoring

synergy

I run an sm-57 straight into the preamp on an omni studio. When I arm a track in Sonar without any effects patched, I get a very noticable delay through my headphones if I arm that track for recording. This is very annonying when trying to overdub vocals especially. Keep in mind that I do not get this delay until I arm the track for recording. Thanks.

Thats what is called latency. Its the time your soundcard/computer needs to process the data coming in to be recorded and then spit it back out.

There's nothing you can do to get rid of it, but using the latest sound card drivers and having a faster processor help minimize it.

what about all these "no latency" and "low latency" claims - are they bogus or not? isn't the omni studio one with such a claim?

I have only experienced this using Pro Tools (Free) with a stock SB, but the latency doesn't exist when recording with Cool Edit through the same card. This has made me a little cautious about going all out and transforming my computer into a high-end multi-channel recording platform. Does the latency exist when using the outputs of the pro audio cards?

actually, I thought the term latency reffered to the amount of time it took after making a change in the software, (ex. EQ adjustment) until you heard the change in the output audio. I hope this delay that I'm experiencing is not normal because I don't see how anyone (amatuer or pro) could tolerate it. BTW my system is 800Mhz athlon with 256 megs SDRAM.

pchorman said:
what about all these "no latency" and "low latency" claims - are they bogus or not? isn't the omni studio one with such a claim?

I have only experienced this using Pro Tools (Free) with a stock SB, but the latency doesn't exist when recording with Cool Edit through the same card. This has made me a little cautious about going all out and transforming my computer into a high-end multi-channel recording platform. Does the latency exist when using the outputs of the pro audio cards?

Again, it depends if you have a sufficiently fast processor. The "no latency" cards just spit whats coming into the inputs out BEFORE the whole recording or A/D process take place on the sound card or computer. If you were monitoring at track in that way, you would not hear any realtime FX being applied to the audio by the computer though (if you were doing that).

You do not experience latency just by recording something. You would only hear the latency in Cool Edit if you monitored the input while recording like synergy was doing

I have a similar system running Logic and havent noticed the latency to be a problem. I dont listen to the armed tracks but it doesnt seem to affect the timing.

Back