Delay VST that moves across stereo space?

superelixir

I know there are plenty of free plugins that give you control over the left and right channel of delay. In a mix I'm working on, I used a stereo delay to set up a "ping pong" effect, where the part bounces a few times from right to left, getting quieter each time. However, I think it would be way cooler if the delay "drifted through stereo space," meaning it starts out somewhere and gradually moves in a direction with each subsequent delay. Are there any plugins (preferably free) that give you this kind of control?

Another related question: I also want to reproduce the effect that some higher-end delays have, which is that the delay becomes more saturated/subdued/modulated over time (with respect to the original sound). I was wondering if there is any way to set this up manually--for example, is there some way to set up routing so that the wet effect (say, modulation) is stronger for weaker signals (so it becomes more pronounced as the delay becomes quieter). Or do I just have to automate it? The DAW I use is Reaper.

Maybe try something like this...

1. Set up a delay plug on an aux bus. A stereo delay if you want.
2. Put an aux send on the desired track to that bus - maybe 50% of the signal.
3. Set up a panning envelope on the aux bus, and set up the automation of the envelop so that it goes back and forth.

Would that give you what you want? If you wanted it to go back and forth rapidly and you want it to go on for a long time, the doing the automation is going take a long time I suppose.

That may be what I end up doing. I could also make some envelopes for EQ/chorus/the other effects I wanted. My only concern is how long the automation would take...

Delay VST that moves across stereo space?

I think you need a warp drive engine for that.....

....or of you really want to control the delay and location, mult the track/signal out to a bunch of new tracks, set up your delay/FX for each...and then pan each in the desired location of the stereo image.
Once you have every delay where you want it...mixdown those track to a single if needed.

Google BionicDelay. It's free VST, and has a "drift" parameter which does what you're looking for and a bit more. Only thing being that it is "host sync" only. The delay time is specified in beat divisions. It's way cool, though. My go to delay plug!

jonny: True, ReaDelay can do that. The only problem is that the taps will always pan the same way (it will always start and end at the same place)... I guess if I want more control I'm going to have to use an envelope...

ashcat: I actually used BionicDelay to do the ping pong effect (I love the way it gives you control over each stereo channel). I tried messing around with the drift parameter, but can't seem to get the effect. How is it supposed to work?

In that case, what about a mono delay feeding into an autopan. Set the autopan out of sync to the tempo and it might give you the more randomised sound you're after.

There are plenty of multi tap delays.

Rob Papen RP delay
Nomad Factory DL3D (only 3 taps though)
PSP audioware 608 multi delay

All of them allow you to pan the delays wherever you like over the stereo field. Rob Pape and PSP have at least 6 taps IIRC

Back