Delay problems Pleeeze help!!!!!!!

FullSailer

Whats up guys here is the deal. I just installed Cubase VST 5.1 on my PC today. I was playing around with it and I noticed that when I record, the monitering is majorly delayed. It actually has about a 1 second delay. I also have been doing some recording on Acid Pro 3.0 just to see if it had the delay also, but it doesnt. I am just wondering why cubase would have delay but Acid doesnt. I have the original sound card that came with the computer. Could it be that? If so why wouldnt it do that on acid? Pleeze help

If you go into your audio settings there are some things you can adjust. Go into the ASIO control panel and mess around with those numbers. Also try changing the other two parameters in that same upper right section of the audio system settings (right where it has your latency number in ms). If you can't get anything satisfying from that, you can always use direct monitoring. Just check the box that says "ASIO Direct Monitoring". You won't hear any effects or EQ this way though. Oh yeah.. If you have any dynamics, effects, or EQ activated, this will increase your latency.. Just go through on the channel mixer and right click on the FX, EQ, and DYN buttons and it will bypass them.

Scot

scottr said:
Oh yeah.. If you have any dynamics, effects, or EQ activated, this will increase your latency..
This is NOT true... only with certain plug-ins will you get some latency (liike the VST Dynamics one in SX) when used on group channels... for EQ/Effects/Dynamics on individual channels, playback is latency-compensated....

I've managed to get the latency down by dropping my buffer levels in the ASIO control panel, but theres still a slight delay if I have all the channels turned on.
Hope it helps.
Neil

get a better soundcard... i.e. not creative/soundblaster live/similar... get a real good one and drop the buffer levels in the ASIO configuration, both on record and playback, but be warned that if you drop them too much, you may encounter clicks and pops...

Blue Bear Sound said:
This is NOT true... only with certain plug-ins will you get some latency (liike the VST Dynamics one in SX) when used on group channels... for EQ/Effects/Dynamics on individual channels, playback is latency-compensated....

Yeah I've read that in the documentation.. But maybe I don't understand how you can compensate for latency. I mean, if I'm sitting here playing my guitar, and there is latency, there is no way for the computer to monitor that guitar sooner than I play it. So how can this be possible? Maybe the recording will be compensated, but its awful hard to put down a good track if you are hearing your instrument 15 ms later than you are playing it

Scott

Chriss said:
get a better soundcard... i.e. not creative/soundblaster live/similar... get a real good one and drop the buffer levels in the ASIO configuration, both on record and playback, but be warned that if you drop them too much, you may encounter clicks and pops...

I used to use a sb audigy and cubasis and didn't experience any latency, but now I've got a better card (gadget labs wave 8/24)and Cubase, get latency so that doesn't really make sense about getting a better card.I've dropped my latency fom 725 ms to 150ms. Dont think I can get it lower though. Any ideas?

Neil Ogilvie said:

I used to use a sb audigy and cubasis and didn't experience any latency, but now I've got a better card (gadget labs wave 8/24)and Cubase, get latency so that doesn't really make sense about getting a better card.I've dropped my latency fom 725 ms to 150ms. Dont think I can get it lower though. Any ideas?

150ms on the GW!!! :eek: :eek: you obviously need new asio drivers...default latency on cards like that shouldn't even be one third of that...

Neil Ogilvie said:

That sounds really high. I have 12ms latency.

Scott

I had some serious problems with Windows and had to format my harddrive, so when I reinstalled Cubase I thought I'd try using a different set of drivers. At the moment I'm using direct X drivers, which is okay for what I'm doing (only one stereo out though, but like I said, not really a problem for what I'm doing). I've got a latency of 7ms,which is pretty good (I think). Better than the multimedia drivers which gave me a latency of 150 ms at best. I think half my problem is I've got two cards in use at once........ Oh well. Cheers for all the feedback. It does help. Thanks.

Set monitoring to Global disable, if your card supports direct no latency monitoring. If not, try Direct ASIO monitoring. The others will produce a slight delay.

Back