Delay matching BPM

Modus

Zaireeka!
Im trying to figure out how to match delay with bpm. Is there an easy way to do this? Maybe a good plug-in?

I thought for sure that I read an easy way to do this a while back but I can't remember where I read it. I guess I could probably play it by ear or somehow work out a way with some sort of math problem or something, but before I get into all that I thought I should ask here first. Anybody know how to do this?

If you don't know what I'm talking about listen to "Take Me down" by the Smashing Pumpkins, im trying to get a similar effect from my acoustic guitar.

Modus

easy math: I have a calculator by my computer. If bpm = 117, then each beat (if in 4/4 time, tehn every quarter note) is 60 second/118 bpm = 508 ms. If you want your echoes to happen on the half beat, or eighth note, then it is 254 bpm, if you want your echoes to occur every dotted eighth note, then it would be 381 ms. If you aren't sure, try it at the quarter note first, if you don't like it, cut it in half, or three/quarters or make the delays happen on the half note by doubling the length of time.

I don't know the song you are referring to, so I don't know how it is done there. But the basics are all the same, divide 60 by your bpm to get the quarter note echo length, and work around with multiples or fractions of that.

With a stop watch. You start it on one, and then you count eleven beats. On eleven, you stop it. Move the decimal point left one place, and you have your time in milliseconds. It is not perfect, but it is quick and will allow you to get close enough to do the final adjustment by ear.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Nice! Thanks Kryogh thats exactly what I was looking for. Ill try out the other ways as well in case I need it.

Back