Delay Hell

Albertm

I have delay with guitar notes. If I turn off Input Echo or Audio Engine button the delay stops. But then I can't use plugins like Amplitube. So the guitar is dry. No matter what buffer or latency setting I use for sonar or tascam 1082 board it wont go away. Drivng me nuts. And Ideas?

Setting
Sampling rate 44100
Buffers in playback que 2
buffer size 11.6
i//o buffer size 512
WDM driver mode. seems to work best with tascam.

I tried many different settings, I must be missing the idea here.

When i check mon/mix on tascam, delay occurs in computer mode, not input mode. So I believe problem is with Sonar. Help . Thanks Albert:(

if it's what i think it is, this happened to me once too. I am work and not at home, so bare with me. In the audio section(i think), there is a section for monitoring. It is either there or (project). Turn the drivers off. See if that helps.

More info. When I record, I hear the echo while recording, but on playback the echo isnt there.

Just seems strange if I turn of Echo button, of course its all right, but then I can't use plugin live, i have to add it later.

Last edited:
this is based off of sonar 5&6, but under the(sorry not on sonar again, I always just happen to look at this forum when I am at work.) under the tabs at the top left, i think there is File, edit insert, something like that. one of the last ones at the end, if you click on it, it will drop down 7 or 8 options to choose from. I know one is Project, another one is audio, another one is I think midi project, something like that. In either project, or audio, look around, open up tabs, i think one of the tabs says Input Monitoring, if i can remember to get on this forum when i go home i will be more specific, must be frustrating

cudmasters, seems the imput monitoring is same as echo button. I can turn off but then I wouldnt be able to run a plugin in my fx box and hear it. I broke down and invested and hour wait time for Sonar tech. After going through a few things, what finally worked was changing my driver from WDM or whatever it was to ASIO. Aparently thaqt runs at less buffer size. Not sure why. My tascam 1082 board said to use the first driver. But ASIO worked so I'll try that for a bit. thanks

Couldn't you set the IO buffer size to 64 or something (using WDM-drivers)?

I tried that. Sonar tech guy said that setting (under the advanced tab if thats what your talking about) doesnt effect the delay.

Really? It does with my drivers... :confused:

At least, I think so, but I guess I have to double-check.

I think so. As I play with it it seems delay is effected only when I use the slider. Still not sure why for 2 years I used the WDM driver with no problems and all of a sudden it didnt work.

There are two seperate audio streams,the one from the soundcard and the one from SONAR.
I have a Delta 66 card and I mute all the input channels on the Delta software yet I can still hear the sound through SONAR when input monitoring is enabled.
If I don't mute the input on the Delta I hear both audio streams the SONAR stream coming however many MS later my latency slider is set to thus creating a delay effect.

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing,but it sounds like it to me.

It does, but my Tascam 1082 software doesnt seem to have a input mute option???

So far tech man seems right. ASIO works with lower buffer speeds.

Not sure what you meant by

"however many MS later my latency slider is set to thus creating a delay effect."

"however many MS later my latency slider is set to thus creating a delay effect."

This is how it works on my computer....
first sound input is my soundcard,0 latency,dry no effects
second input is SONAR,my latency slider is set at 5.8ms with effects.

IF I don't mute the input from my soundcard I get BOTH the dry/no latency signal and the SONAR/effects signal 5.8 ms later.If I mute the sound card I only hear the signal that's run through SONAR.If your latency is higher it will be even more noticable.

I use WDM with my Delta 66 FWIW,never tried ASIO.

ASIO drivers are always the way to go as long as the interface can support it. It's just better. Google it and do some reading its a lot of usless info, but it is good to know what is going on in the background some times.

ASIO drivers are always the way to go as long as the interface can support it. It's just better. Google it and do some reading its a lot of usless info, but it is good to know what is going on in the background some times.

If I'm not having any problems what's better about it?

Back