Delay Formula?

60,000 divided by the tempo of your song (beats per min.) will = delay time per beat in miliseconds.

That's only one interesting use of a delay.
I think the term "proper" is what annoyed me about the question.
Delay is an artistic effect added for a number of different reasons so the setting that you choose depends on the effect you're trying to achieve.

Drstawl,

Although you are right, it is commen to hear a slapback, delay, in beat to the tempo.
The delay then would be in tempo of the eighth note or 16th or quater note etc....This effect adds to the rhythmic feel of your song.
It can smooth a groove or if delayed slightly, can make the groove feel more relaxed (or faster will make it feel aggressive)

Thank you all for the info.

DrStawl, I understand the fact that there is really no "proper" way to add certain types of effects to music. And I also understand that it is a completely subjective thing. I was merely asking what the formula was. Nothing else. But thank you for your input.

I'd like to add that it's fun playing lead guitar with one of those "slapback" delays.
Half of the effects settings on the POD add this effect. And that formula is really a set of related formulas depending on what note-length you are aligning the delay with.

I'll tell you something else.
Most of the guitar effects, make the gutarist sound better then he realy is. :)

Shailat, I believe in some aspects that is true but also at the same rate if you dont have your chops down no amount of effects will make you sound better.

Most of the effects on the POD make my guitar sound worse. You really have to search around to find the right tone/effects for a particular song. But then I like very clean guitar sounds. And I agree that no amount of effects will cover up an inability to play.

Back