Delay effect before or after amp? (re-amp box really needed?)

You should not need a reamp box, just come out of a line out and go back into a line in, or two line inputs for stereo. The pedal shouldn't have a problem with the level or impedance of the line outs and ins.
Before spending any money, why don't you try using the delay pedal on the way into the AI first? Won't cost you anything to try it!
Now that he kept it a secret I want to know what delay he is using. Svemir , what delay pedal is it?

I use A KORG DL8000 or Lexicon PCM 80 , relics, but completely awesome. Crystal clear and can do anything. KORG has 8 lines of non summing true R/L delay , the Lexicon has 6. Every parameter is midi assignable. The KORG can do 4 CC pedals and 2 footswitches. The lexicon with the footcontroller can do 2 CC pedals, and a switch.

mmm, I get it guys, I understand what you are saying but I'm a bit sceptical.

Anyway I asked a friend who has a recording studio, the difference is that if you place the delay pedal before everything, after recording you cannot change anything, if you made a mistake, you have to record it again.

For instance you didn't set up the delay time properly with the song, or you want to change something, maybe too much delay or too less, you have to record again everything, while with the re-amp box you can always change the delay settings after recording because you recorded the clean guitar without effects.

In terms of sound is relative, usually it should go after the distortion, but as you said someone use it before, it shouldn't be a big deal.

So this is the main issue, not the sound.

I might buy it at the end, for 60 euros

While that I true, that's not a "before or after the Amp" issue, that is a "record with effects or not" issue.

The only time I record with effects is when the effect is part of the performance. In the case of delay, that would be when I'm playing with the delays, creating harmonies or call and answers. If the delay is for ambience in the mix, I always record dry and add it during the mix.

Since you aren't using a real Amp, it would give you the most flexibility if you record the di signal from the guitar, then add the Amp Sim during the mix. At that time, you can also decide where to put the effects based on what is good for the mix.

You should be able to record the dry guitar signal while monitoring through an Amp Sim, so you can get the feel during the performance.

If you are going to use the pedal for effects, you will need an interface with two inputs and at least one output that doesn't go to your monitors. The pedal should also have a mix control, so you can set it 100% wet.

Back