Dedicated kick drum mike...

SteveK

Wondering if there is a concensus on the forum about the best kick drum mike. Does not have to be a good all around mike, or capable of recording any other instruments...I have other mikes for those applications. So what is the general concensus?

If there is a concensus, it would be that there's a handfull of mics that generally work. And it's the usuall suspects (RE-20's, D-112's, ATM-25's, Beta-52, etc). I like to think not have a xx-xx to stick in the kick would slow me down. Anyways, I have a couple of D-112's I'm fond of. That inside and something else out in front of the kick (an LDC of some kind).

IMO, with a bit of time spent on mic positioning, you can make any decent kick mic work with a bit of help from a suspended ns10 driver or a yamaha subkick. Get some good isolating headphones to help with postioning though.

I've being using either the Sennheiser e602 or MD421-U5 with the Yamaha Subkick lately, with alot of different kick drums. One or the other can always get you there, with a bit of jiggery-pokery.

Nathan

I have a couple of vintage (and quite rare) AKG D25's. These are very good and many say the best kick mic, but hey, many say the RE20 is the best and so on...

I would be interested in selling a D25 if anyone wants one, or trading for a mic pre?

Back