Deck/ProTools question

GROOVEJIVEY

I have a friend that uses a program called "Deck" to record. I've heard that this is what ProTools was ripped from... Any comments? Also, I've noticed there's no forum for either of these on this website, & figured this was the place to ask about that. Answers, anybody? Thanks. :)

Are you considering using "Deck" for your recording purposes?

Are you new to the arena of recording?

I have not heard of the program named "Deck".

Deck was made by Macromedia at one time. Now I think it's BIAS. Pro Tools wasn't ripped from it, but that's a pretty funny idea. It only supports 16 bit audio, and is therefore pretty irrelevant as a multitrack DAW these days.

Amendment: it is a BIAS product. Here's their link. http://www.bias-inc.com/

Spinsterwun & Charger-
Thanks for the quick response. Spinster, in response to your questions, I'm not considering using Deck for anything myself, I'm just doing a little research for my friend on it, VERY few of the people that I've talked to so far even know of it, or what it even is. That's why I turned to this site. I read WAY more from this site to learn, more than I ever post, since I seem to be able to acquire knowledge a little easier that way. Sticks in my mind better... As for being new to the recording arena, I am beyond my years for a prune, but for a mountain, I have not yet even begun... ;)
Charger, I appreciate your input on this. I will definitely be checking out the website you listed. I've never heard of Deck myself, either, my friend told me that most people that know about it don't really care for it, but he likes it pretty well for the stuff that he does. He's into his own thing, & I can respect that. I've tried several different media, such as SAWPRO, Sonar, n-track, & liked different things about them all. As for ProFools being a rip of Deck, I had a person tell me that, but it seems like there was a little more to the story than that, something about the guy that came up with Deck, also came up with the forerunner of the current ProTools, but was ripped off by an associate(s) or something, but the guy that told me this didn't know all of the details, & I wasn't really interested in the gossip, anyway. However, I appreciate you guys' input on this, & the speed of your responses. The only part of my initial question that you didn't answer was why there's no forum for ProTools, but that's okay. I was only curious about that part of it for myself. Thanks a ton, guys, you've both been a great help... Remember, when you see a trickle of blood coming from my ear, turn it up just one more notch...
Groove.

There is a forum for Pro Tools, the Digi User Conference... http://duc.digidesign.com

There's no forum for Pro Tools here because not many people here use it, and not many people here like Digidesign. But the forums at Digidesign are some of the best product-oriented forums on the web.

That story about the origins of Deck and Pro Tools is simply not true. It's a cute story, but I'd classify is as myth and leave it there.

Hey Charger-
Thanks for the heads-up on the ProTools forum, also, the story on Deck/Pro Tools origins. I thought something sounded a little fishy about that story. I'm a little curious about why not many here on this BBS don't like Digidesign, or why ProTools isn't used by many, but it also seems to me that ProTools is mainly the domain of the "bigname" studios, which would lead me to believe that would be why not many here care for it, since this is the "HomeRecording.Com" website! Anyhow, thanks for the clarification, I appreciate the info. See ya,
Groove.

Back