DECENTER - Sick Of It

DogmaticVox

Meh...
Hey guys, here's the 1st draft mix of a song I finished recording over the weekend. Let me know what you guys thinks.

Thanks,
Garry

Almost immediately while listening to it, I'm noticing a very closed / narrow sound to it. Very clean, almost too clean for this song, IMO. Hmm.... Man, I wanna be head-banging to this, but something in the mix is hold me back. It's almost as if I'm watching this insane band perform in the next room, and I want to open the door and go nuts, but I can't open the door.

I have no idea what is causing that sensation, man. The musicianship is awesome. Love the song itself. Just feel like something is keeping me from getting into 100%. My best guess is, ... maybe the panning?? Are any elements hard-panned? Seems very closed and narrow (not thin, though...) Man, I wish I know how to explain better.

That guitar solo rocks, by the way.

----

So, I figured I'd check my gut and try listening to some other mixes that I perceive as "open" and "wide"... I listened to a few of my own, and listened to Greg L's recent post "Neanderthal", and after doing so, I think it's your bass, man. Your bass is jacked up a lot, and it's over-powering everything else... Not sure if it's a certain bass-freq, or the bass itself. Anyway... Keep at it. Huge potential on this one, man.

Thanks for sharing.

Unlike all my other recordings I decided to try and make a stylistic change of distorting the vocals. In doing so it has definitely made the song take on a completely different feel - and that may be exactly it. For shits and giggles I'm going to go back in and set up the vox how I normally have them and see if that changes things. I'm also dealing with new overhead mics and a room mic, so I know I need to spend a little time there too to get used to them. The octave guitar part during the choruses is mono and pretty hot near the center (maybe 20 something percent if I remember right) - I'll try and give it the "stereo treatment" and widen that out more too. I'll definitely check the bass as you mentioned and maybe bring it down a couple too.

I agree with PI. There's a big ol hole in the mix. I think it's the guitars. The rhythm guitars have no power. They're overdriven, they're loud in the mix, but they don't seem to have much low mid punch. They sound like typical scooped "metal" guitars played fast. The whole mix seems kind of hollow and thin. Could be the guitars. The bass seems strong in the lows, but not much going on in the mids or highs. I think that's what it is - just a general lack of midrange in everything overall. Cool song though. Well performed.

Makes sense. I tried a different guitar tone for this track and went for a "meaner" sound which seems like it just ended up with more bark/less bite.

Good song and performance but it doesn't jump up and down for attention. The stereo image does seem narrow and the guitars could use some meat with the potatoes that you already have.

Back