decent mp3 encoding

floppsybunny

wondering if anyone can recommend a free or reasonably priced software (PC) for encoding mp3s at 192 and 128, from wav files. i've tried audacity, which uses the 'lame' codec (i think), but i'm totally dissatisfied with the amount of artifacts it leaves behind (and yes, i know it's still an mp3 and there will always be artifacts/noise/mp3-hissy-underwatery-ness). is there a better software/codec to use?

thanks.

Lame is one of the best mp3 codecs out there. I use it all the time. I also use itunes (freebie also). It has the ability to convert a mix to mp3 and other formats.

The best codec IMHO still remains the original Fraunhoffer (sp?) codec. Unfortunately, that still remains the the one which carries a licensing fee with it, so it's not easy to find on freeware. I *think* this is what iTunes uses, however, so there is a free source for it right there.

My favorite free one used to be the Blade engine, using a version of the old ISO codec. Not as sharp sounding as Fraunhoffer, but it's coloration seemed to almost add an analog-ish sheen to the recording. I don't think that's available any longer, though; I'm not sure, but I think there were legal issues involved somehow that took that off the market. Maybe someone else knows better than I about that.

But I also have to say that in my limited world of experience with MP3 encoding, that the only times I have experienced any really audible - meaning to the casual listener on the average playback system - problems with MP3 encoding in any codec has been with mixes that had some real problems of their own to begin with.

G.

thanks for the input. i never considered that the mixes might affect the encoding, but now that you mention it, the mixes that i have had the most problems with as far as mp3 artifacts are generally the most bright, and have a lot of high frequency information (lots of air, and fuzzy/bright guitar presence above 11k) that is generally lost in an mp3 anyway. maybe i had better first experiment with some high shelving filters and/or chill out the ultra-bright guitars before i worry about which codec...

having said that, i will definitely try itunes now, i never thought of that. (i generally avoid itunes because i can't rip/fiddle/experiment with its stupid proprietary m4a files.)

cheers. :)

Back