Decent mixer at a decent price.

phantom power just means you don't need an external power source - i.e. you get the power you need from the line, right?

phantom power just means you don't need an external power source - i.e. you get the power you need from the line, right?

It means the power is available at pins 2+3 of the microphone input......The front end of the preamp.
Not line. Forget line. ;)

ECC is bang on too. If you think you'll need more mic input channels, it's a much simpler plan to just buy a better equipped audio interface.

Note that many/most interfaces that advertise 2 mic preamps/inputs and 2 line inputs only have two simultaneous track outputs, too.

^ Verily!^
Beware in general of the advertised track counts of interfaces. Many are marketed as "4 in 4 out" When in reality this means there are only 2 ANALOGUE ins and outs but they count S/PDIF. It has been known for MIDI to be counted as well in which case that AI grows to 6 in 6 out!

Then, some 2 by 2 AIs have an extra pair of line ins on the back but this does NOT mean that the unit can record 4 discrete channels. No, the line ins at the back defeat the front inputs. This can be a convenience but is confusing to the noob.

BTW the NI KA6 DOES have 4 discrete ins and outs and will record 4 tracks. MIDI and S/PDIF are not counted and are thus a bonus.

Dave.

^ Verily!^
Beware in general of the advertised track counts of interfaces. Many are marketed as "4 in 4 out" When in reality this means there are only 2 ANALOGUE ins and outs but they count S/PDIF. It has been known for MIDI to be counted as well in which case that AI grows to 6 in 6 out!

Then, some 2 by 2 AIs have an extra pair of line ins on the back but this does NOT mean that the unit can record 4 discrete channels. No, the line ins at the back defeat the front inputs. This can be a convenience but is confusing to the noob.

BTW the NI KA6 DOES have 4 discrete ins and outs and will record 4 tracks. MIDI and S/PDIF are not counted and are thus a bonus.

Dave.

+1 on this. This is a very tricky area that based on advertised specs are often misrepresented. This often the case when discussing USB. While S/PDIF is an output, and often it can be an additional channel, not many of us use that as an input.

Bottom line, make sure at least the USB Inputs match (actually show up in the DAWs input channel selection) the expected requirement.

Hey Dave - how would you compare the NI KA6 vs. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Obviously, having two extra inputs would be nice, but not at compromised quality. I read some of the reviews on Amazon and they are saying the Focusrite is a lot better - albeit only 2 inputs.

Hey Dave - how would you compare the NI KA6 vs. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Obviously, having two extra inputs would be nice, but not at compromised quality. I read some of the reviews on Amazon and they are saying the Focusrite is a lot better - albeit only 2 inputs.

I have not tried a 2i2 but have read various reports. Yes the mic amps are clean but then the drivers are said by some to give poorish latency performance and the DI input has limited headroom.

The KA6 has very good pre amps. I can record acoustic guitar with them flat out for an SM57 (Son prefers it to capacitors!) and get a noise floor of -73dBFS and that is quieter than I can get my room.

The overall noise performance of the KA6 is around 102dBFS and that is some 4dB better than my 2496...And I NEVER had any problems with the 2496!

The drivers for the KA67 are exemplary. No hassle to run, tiny latencty (as good as the PCI 2496, i.e.64 samples if I wanted it) .

So, factor in...Quiet mic amps, very wide dynamic range, superb drivers and a BSH build and the likelyhood is you have an excellent AI?

Dave.

If focusrite is on your radar step up to a 6i6 or 18i8 - I feel that even an entry level producer will outgrow the 2i2 and 2i4 within a few weeks. That said, I personally own a 6i6 and I havent had any problems with drivers causing latency. Additionally, the 6i6+ scarletts offer a different preamp as well.

Last edited:
Back