Decent Budget iMac Setup

DJBC

This setup will be used to produce and record hip-hop/rap and also to do some electronic music DJing. I'd like input on my choices as I have done a lot of research but I don't have any experience putting together a home studio. The budget is around $5,000 so nothing can really be more expensive than what I already picked, but I'm not one to say that I can't get better for the money.

Computer: 27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel w/ 8gb of RAM.
Software: Logic Studio (Logic Pro 9)
Mic: Rode NT1A
Interface: Apogee Duet with a Belkin Firewire 800/400 Cable to connect it to the new iMac.
Headphones: Sony MDR-7506
Monitors: Behringer B2030A
MIDI Controller: M-Audio Axiom 25
DJ System:M-Audio Torq Xponent

Am I forgetting anything? Should I replace anything with a different item?

I'm also getting a PA system which is a Behringer PMP200/B212XL Package and an RCA to 1/4" cable to connect the Xponent to the extra mixer for the DJing. I know that's not exactly recording but anybody have anything to say about the set up? And I already have the laptop to go with the mobile set up, the set up I listed above is just for at home practice.

My 2c- I'd spend less on the headphones and more on monitors.

This will be controversial (because *some* people around here love their macs), but I'd spend less on the computer and get a PC and spend more on the mic and maybe interface.

Also, pretty big disparity between the quality of the recording setup you're looking at and the quality of the PA you're looking at. lol. :)

Also, most important- don't forget acoustic treatment for your room. I'd imagine that doing hip-hop stuff, low end response in your room would be more important than ever... do a search for basstraps.

I have to agree with jeff. spend less on the comp buy a better mic and interface. And maybe some treatment so you wont get lost in all that bass. For sure you should ditch the headphones and get better monitors. The pa.. I dont know.

find a reputable old sound guy and find some older used pa stuff........prices for used pa are pretty reasonable.........you could get much better and more durrable stuff than bearinger for about the same money..............
I'd go Yamaha or Peavey tops if you can't do diy.......
an older peavey/carvin/crown etc seperate amp and a dj mixer......
you'd be much better off.......

My 2c- I'd spend less on the headphones and more on monitors.

This will be controversial (because *some* people around here love their macs), but I'd spend less on the computer and get a PC and spend more on the mic and maybe interface.

Also, pretty big disparity between the quality of the recording setup you're looking at and the quality of the PA you're looking at. lol. :)

Also, most important- don't forget acoustic treatment for your room. I'd imagine that doing hip-hop stuff, low end response in your room would be more important than ever... do a search for basstraps.
It's for sure going to be a Mac because I have a partner that is dead set on it and I on the other hand don't really care.

Is there any monitors that you would specifically recommend? I can round up a couple hundred extra if need be considering it's around christmas time and my family doesn't like to shop for presents.

And the headphones aren't going to be used for final mixing and mastering, they are just so I can listen to the instrumental while I record the vocals.

Back