Decembers Challenge - Nifty '50

Nightfire

Aspiring Idiot
Following the spirit of the Gecko and rising to the December and January challenge I will write a song in this thread.

Please refrain from commenting on the lyrics as the rules clearly outline in Up-Fiddlers thread regarding the December challenge.

Here it goes. It wasnt hard to settle on a topic, given that there were only 3 to choose from, and I knew immediately I would write about my first truck.

The story goes that I was born in the wrong era. I crave for all things old, I wish I was born in the golden 50's, eating A&W Burgers at the drive in, listening to rythm and blues on the radio. Then the 60's would roll along as I was in my prime teenage to young adult years, seeing my favorite singer perform The Times They Are a Changing, particpating in the civil rights movement...

Well I was born a few years before Nirvana changed the world, and just a little after Appetite for Destruction melted everyones faces away. Im part of the generation Y, the internet generation, the 90s boy band generation.

When it came time to buy my first car, there was no way in hell it would be a new car. I despised most new music kids listened to in highschool, while they were dancing to Madonna, Justin, and Kanye, I was listening to Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Beach Boys and 70s punk. I also despised most new cars, plastic imports lacking any kind of charachter or soul. When I was 17 (3 years ago) I bought a 1950 Fargo pickup truck. It had soul. It had charachter. It had lived through the post-war wealth, the gas crisis in the 70's, it had watched Toyota trucks replace its role in the 80's and 90's. My dad thought I bit off more than I could chew, but he always believed in me and helped me fix it up. We had no idea what we were doing, but after a summer of blood, sweat, and tears him and me both took it out for our first ride. I drove my date to grad the next summer, breaking down on the way there but being able to fix it.

It's been sitting for the past two years on my driveway waiting for me to get her going again, but school comes first. So to honour her, this song is called Nifty '50.

More to come.

Mike

Here's a start, this will change drastically.

VERSE
Fast cars, and cigarettes
No I never understood the rest
Of the folks of my age, and the folks running cool
A time and place for my soul

When I was only 17,
I set out looking for a beauty queen
A crown of thorns in an old rusted field
Sat the old wreck ‘neath a willowing tree

CHORUS
She’s a nifty 50, with a four on the floor
Runnin on empty down I94