Debating Analog or Digital

wings012345

So I have a chance to buy a really nice 388 in clean excellent shape. Been thinking about going back to the analog world for a while. I have always wanted one of these. Back in the day i had a tascam 246 4 track. Was pretty cool for the time. I currently own a Tascam 2488 Neo. Debating on upgrading to the Tascam DP32 or picking up this 388. I love the ease of use with the Tascam digital and that everything you need is built in. Effects.compressors, mixing down to CD. I know with the 388 these will all be external devices I will need to purchase. Any of you have regrets going from the ease of digital back to the analog world? I know sometimes its a cool retro thing and a different warmer sound. More hands on which is kinda cool.

No. I grew up in analog. When I came back to recording I gave digital a try. It wasnt the same for me, so I reverted to all analog. And I dont regret that one bit (pun intended).

Last edited:
I'm still heavily into an analog SOP....tracking/mixing....but I also love my DAW for editing/comping, so the hybrid approach works best for me.
I can do an all-analog SOP, but honestly, for a solo musician, doing most of the playing/tracking/mixing...being able to edit/comp digitally allows you to take your productions to a more polished level.
Some folks may not care about, and are just trying to keep it as simple as possible for their own recording pleasure...but if you have any notion of competing on any level in the music biz...trying to sell any aspect of your music product....
...then you want the best product possible.

If you can get a 388 in good condition, you'd be crazy not to snag it. But as miroslav said, you'll want to polish your work up in a DAW. Reaper is free to try and cheap to buy. You don't have to choose one or the other.

So if I bought the 388, kept the NEO. I could output the 388 mix into the NEO and compress and burn it to cd from the NEO? Anyone with a 388 do this?

The only problem I see with analog is all the youngsters that grew up with digital will have to be able to play the song all the way through instead of playing the song one riff at a time.It's a conversation I have with my youngest-he's gone from Digitech Death Metal pedals with a solid state amp through a 2-12 cabinet, to a tube head and 4-12 bottom, and now wants to mix his band's demo to tape.Looks like there is some hope for the kids.Now if I can just get him to print drums to tape...

Recording for 30+ years now, professionally and as a hobbyist (hobbyist meaning I don't do it for a living anymore), and no regrets at all to always keeping analog in the process. I don't see analog as "Retro" but simply a tool among many other tools that work for me. Back in the day I always expected to switch over to all digital at some point when the technology matured enough. That day never came. In fact, the state of the art for recording is substantially worse today than even ten years ago when we were having the most heated analog vs. digital debates. So now in retrospect I can say with even more certainty (and feeling a great sense of vindication) that yes, by all means incorporate analog into your recording process and be happy! Your music will love you for it! :)

A 388 in great condition is a fine machine.

As far as everything being built into a DAW; that's not necessarily the case. Sure, you have selections there at your fingertips, but are they really performing to the level we were accustomed to with the hardware counterparts? For example, digital compression is such a different process than analog compression that if you don't have an analog compressor IMO you don't have a compressor. Compression is probably the most extreme case, but many other software effects don't come close to their hardware or analog counterparts. So when weighing your options always ask yourself if your plugins are really equivalent to the hardware they claim to replace or if that's simply a popular notion propagated by marketing departments. A case in point... I've found the Lexicon reverb plugs to be pretty dismal compared to the now vintage Lexicon outboard digital processors I still own. I can't truly replace them with plugins... so I won't. ;)

Analog! Just get the 388. Also, I do like Reaper really well so with that for sure on the digital side. I've got some really nice plugins I use with it too, but my less expensive hardware compressors sound better than the plugins that are supposed to sound like units that cost more than my cheaper outboard. I guess I have to agree with the last post about that. I got rid of a JH16-24 a few years ago and the things I recorded with that sound much better with much less work than the computer. Now, I've bought myself an Ampex so will be getting back to analog again. :)
Come join the fun!

The only problem I see with analog is all the youngsters that grew up with digital will have to be able to play the song all the way through instead of playing the song one riff at a time.

Or do a lot of punching-in to fix it - which I did on my latest because I'm still too new a player to play 8-10 minute songs through perfectly.

You can take a lot of shortcuts anyway if the music uses programmed drums or keyboards - a sequencer with MTC capability can be synced against a control track on the tape deck.

Most of these answers are what they are because you went into the Analog Forum. I just happened to stumble upon this, and I'll add my digital bias since you did ask for both. :)

I was almost in the same boat you were in. I was debating to get a tape deck and I think I asked a question in this forum a while back. I'm glad I stuck with digital and got a new computer.

With analog, you are going to have another load of info you are going to have to learn, not that that's a bad thing at all, but just know that there is that.

You wouldn't be upgrading the sound at all. You will have a different sound; that's a certainty! If you like being hands on and turning physical knobs, than the 388 may be good for you.

Don't forget that you will have to buy tape, which could be a thorn in your wallet.

Some guy mentioned that his cheap hardware compressors beat his emulation plugs. Don't ever consider that. I always assume that it's bias. If he had done a blind test, then maybe his ears are suited to the sound of the compressors. My ears might not be. Those statements really hold little weight.

I think the idea where you would keep the NEO and buy the 388 seems sound. Whatever choice you make, it sounds like you are going to have a blast recording! :)

Well, they aren't that cheap. A Symetrix 501, RNLA and Orban 424a. Pretty decent compressors but not a Fairchild like some plugins I have claim to be. I have a couple of plugins that model the old dbx 165 units and they are amazing for plugins. It IS an analog forum, but I have to admit to loving both in different ways. Plugins have come a long way, but with plugins, the better sounding stuff is usually the more expensive and CPU intensive stuff with some exceptions like the Bootsy plugins that are amazing and free and also skNote Stripbus which is great and very fairly priced. I have so many plugins, I probably need a new computer too, but now I've got an analog machine again, so I can get some cool sounds with that and then transfer to Reaper and use my plugins too! I was probably too quick to post that way, but I was referencing another post and I agreed somewhat. I really like the sound of running from an external insert plugin out to my hardware. Maybe better, maybe not, but different for sure so you are correct there.

Well, they aren't that cheap. A Symetrix 501, RNLA and Orban 424a. Pretty decent compressors but not a Fairchild like some plugins I have claim to be. I have a couple of plugins that model the old dbx 165 units and they are amazing for plugins. It IS an analog forum, but I have to admit to loving both in different ways. Plugins have come a long way, but with plugins, the better sounding stuff is usually the more expensive and CPU intensive stuff with some exceptions like the Bootsy plugins that are amazing and free and also skNote Stripbus which is great and very fairly priced. I have so many plugins, I probably need a new computer too, but now I've got an analog machine again, so I can get some cool sounds with that and then transfer to Reaper and use my plugins too!

Fair enough. Someone did mention that the tools in digital act differently than in analog. That is very true.

I have used most of the well known DAWs out there: Pro Tools, Reaper, Cubase, Studio One, Sonar, Reason (which I currently have), Logic, and Digital Performer. Honestly, I have settled down and found that a cheap Mac and Garageband suit my needs just fine! I can actually put out some pretty awesome recordings from the software. My philosophy is, if you can't get a good sound from the stock plugs of Garageband, you shouldn't be messing around with Pro Tools thinking you're going to have mixes sounding 100 times better. And really, the Garageband today is far more powerful than the beginnings of digital software. So.... I should definitely get some good mixes going.

I use Garageband all the time myself and I like the stock effects just fine on a lot of things. I am a huge Reaper fan, especially with the White Tie themes I'm using. Looks like an SSL! I had better stop there as this is the analog forum. I am new around here and don't want to get myself in trouble.

Something to consider:

Tape machines are FUN and working with them is rewarding. It's a physical craft and the process is completely different from digital recording. This workflow most certainly influences the result in a big way.

Something to consider:

Tape machines are FUN and working with them is rewarding. It's a physical craft and the process is completely different from digital recording. This workflow most certainly influences the result in a big way.

And that is most certainly a very valid reason. At the end of the day, I wonder if the "debate" is peripheral. To me, it seems that people caring passionately about what they do is the most important thing.

I worry that the very concept of the "crafter" is in decline, in Western cultures at any rate.

Seems to me that if you use the tools you love, then almost by definition you will get great results.

My 2¢ anyway.

Go with what you want. There's no right answer.

Just to give a bit of balance (since we're in the Analogue Forum) I grew up with analogue, transitioned to digital (both at work and at home) and you'll never get me to go back to the analogue world.

Having said that, there's a certain allure to spinning tape reels that will never be replaced by a computer screen.

So...from your original post it sounds like your heart is in the analogue world--go with it.

Well I dont use pro tools or any other Computer program. I use the NEO and all its built in features. So although Digital, its still kinda old school physical hands on. I love the NEO and think alone it can produce some high quality recordings. I saw the new DP32 on Ebay for $699 and thought hmmm... sell the NEO and grab that. Upgrade. Then..... I saw the Tascam 388 for sale in great shape. It got me thinking about analog again in a big way. I remember seeing this machine in the music store in the 90's. Wanted it so bad but could not afford. This one for sale is not cheap. Because its in very nice shape he is asking $1,000

Hey thats the power of the 388. Thats what forumns are all about. Posts will be repeated. Times change and technology changes so an old post may not be as relevant. No need for negativity. Some good thoughtful advice was giving here which I appreciate.

Back