Death Metal Distortion!!!

Bass Freak

alright

i have me a 6 string electric laying around, and i wanna play me some hardcore type music. and the only way i can think of to do this, is a pedal

but what one? i saw on musciansfriend.com a couple of pedels that said 'death metal' or 'heavy metal' right on it.

i know these threads usually dont get a lot of attention. but, im a bass player trying to play a 6 string, so cut me some slack :) those wee little strings hurt

thanks

freak

do you have a marshall, rivera, bogner, or mesa boogie? there may be a few more that are good for heavy music, but i can't think of any more right now.

since you're a bass player, i assume you dont have a good guitar amp so yeah, you are gonna have to use a pedal.

get one of the ones that says metal on it if you want. mxr has a 2 channel distortion pedal (the m-151) that i would love to try out. mxr has some good pedals. if i was looking for a distortion pedal, i would get the mxr m151 without even hearing it.

Check out the Digitech Metal Master. For a mere 80 clams, you too can be crankin' out the big fat doomy death.

here's my vote ....

Boss MT-2 metal zone its heavy .....but i also agree th MXR is probably a good pedal they've been around a long time they got Dimebag in their corner so you know they got to have some weight in their pedal

Get the SansAmp GT2 and run it directly into the power amp input of your bass amp and through your bass cab (especially if you use 10s or 15s).

Bass Freak said:
alright

i have me a 6 string electric laying around, and i wanna play me some hardcore type music. and the only way i can think of to do this, is a pedal

but what one? i saw on musciansfriend.com a couple of pedels that said 'death metal' or 'heavy metal' right on it.

i know these threads usually dont get a lot of attention. but, im a bass player trying to play a 6 string, so cut me some slack :) those wee little strings hurt

thanks

freak
I'm always willing to help a fellow bassist... so here's the trade secret you want to know... layers of retuned guitar tracks = FAT. ;)

oh man, djl, i didnt even think of that....genious *bows down*

ill have to run out and check those pedals, im kinda iffy about buying things without playing around first

and correct on the sucky guitar amp....i think its 10w. its a silvertone.....kinda looks....tweed-ish. doesnt sound too bad, but, its nothing great

im gonna have to try running it through a big bass amp, who knows.

freak

Re: Re: Death Metal Distortion!!!

DJL said:
here's the trade secret you want to know... layers of retuned guitar tracks = FAT.
Can you elaborate on the methods? Is "detune" used? What values?

Thanks!

DOD Deathmetal

Depending on the music you play, the DOD Deathmetal pedal is one of the best distortion pedals on the market. I use it for blackmetal, which is generally a lot more high-end oriented than death metal. You can get a really great "angry swarm of hornets" sound (ex: Darkthrone's "Under a Funeral Moon", Abyssic Hate's "Suicidal Emotions" or Ulver's "Natten's Madrigal"). Of course, this kind of tone is considered horrible or even painful by most most musicians.

i might have to check it out

im looking for a beastly bleeding sound.

ever hear of bleeding through? that kinda sound might work too

freak

If you want a Bleeding Through type sound, get something like a Metal Zone and a compresser and squash the hell out of it. My experience with the DOD Death Metal distortion (which was years ago...my friend had one) was that it fedback really easily, and before you got a very usable distortion sound of it. I would think that pairing a Metal Zone and a compressor would get you that tight super-compressed metal sound that you're looking for. One of their guitarists uses a Line 6 head, too, so maybe you'd have luck with a POD or something like that.

here's my recommendations.

danelectro fab tone (get one off ebay they're cheaper there -- ) for a nice sound AND a great clean distortion recorded.

ibanez has a distortion pedal; ds-7 it sounds pretty good if you like the deftones sound. (i love it)

ibanez has the ph-7 if you want a bass distortion that's real crunchy ;)

the best advice i can give you is go to your local music store and PLAY ONE!!!! you'll never know what it sounds like until you hear it.

I'll second the Danelectro and Ibanez recommendations. I've used both and liked them both. The Dano is crunchier, and the Ibanez fizzier.

my friend highly recomended the danelctro, thats what he uses and gets some crazy sounds out of it. ill try to borrow it sometime.

so, sunday, i went to gc to try out some pedals. grabbed the guitar, pluged it all in, had everything ready....went to play.....and......nothing.....the daisy chained pedals got messed up somewhere, and i asked a guy working there if he could give me a hand *i told him i was a bass player and needed guitar distortion* and he kinda looked at me and said "its sunday, im not going to bother with it. i get off work in five minutes". so..uh....i left, very angerly at that.

then i went to my local used music store, and they were closed. it was a waste of a day

freak

Re: here's my vote ....

lesterpaul said:
Boss MT-2 metal zone its heavy .....

I've used the MT-2 for years (for what it's worth), of course this means that I haven't "shopped around" much either, and therefore have no basis for comparison, but I like it...

we're primarily....

an "alternative southern rock band" and i play through a peavey classic 50 so i needed a heavy pedal it does the job for me ...i would like to try out the "sansamp triac " it has three channels one with a boogie type ,a fender ,and a marshall setting in one pedal , i hear good things about sansamp

I know its a little late but if you have about $250, you can get a Digitech GNX2. It has everything that you need... And then some! It has a lot of amp models so you can experiment with different sounds. Plus, it had stompbox modeling. So you can experiment with some of the worlds most awesome distortion pedals! Its loaded with all kinds of goodies! If you've got the money, get it! I guanantee you won't be dissapointed! But, hey... That's just my oppinion.

Back