Dean Razor Std.

badgas

I was needing some low end guitar work.
I searched around and asked some questions and had a list of nine bass guitars I was told gave some bang, especally in studio work.

My main critirea was $. Not that I can't afford a good bass, but that I've never played the thing that much, have no interest in playing it anymore than for my recording and have always wanted one to just fart around on when someone comes over with a guitar.

So, after going from town to town, store to store, checking my list, and testing the clerks, I decided on the Dean Razor Std.

It's slim, nice balance.
The small body is comfortable, especially with my shoulder the way it is. Most Razors I looked at were painted red, blue and possibly some other colors that don't mean nuthin to me, since the color ain't gonna show on the recordings.

After two weeks of snooping around, I decided to head back to some joint in Tacoma and pick up that blue one I played there. They wanted $315 for it. I was ready to shell out $500 for a decent bass.
Anyway, I goes there and the same clerk I was a smart ass to asks me if I've decided.
Yeah I tell her, then she says that she has seen the same bass, a Dean Razor Std in another store for $259. Same model, blah blah....

I thanked her and left, planning on coming back to get the blue Razor she was standing in front of when I just talked to her.

After high-tailing it to this other guitar joint, I find the one she told me about.
Same body, PUps, everything, only it wasn't blue, nor red.
It was wood grain. It was on sale and they were having a "No Tax" Sale day that day, so I got it for about $18-20 cheaper.
I paid $217 for it. Two Ben Franklins less than the other place.

It sounds pretty good to me.
I've laid a few tracks with it and it sounds full and rich, mellow and brassy, how ever I want.

Jackie, a local bass player came by and looked at it and said he'd of paid three to four hundred for it. Then I told him the price.

So, today I'm back in Tacoma and figure I'd swing by that guitar store where that lady was and thank her.
She was nice, and it was about 12:30, lunch time.
I told her that I appreciated the tip and would like to return the fav by taking her out to lunch.

She says, "Do you think I'd go to lunch with you? After what you said to me the first time you came in here, then going to another store to buy the instrument? Your a sick-O nut case, Buddy." and she turned around and left.

Well, it was her lose, not mine. I had a couple tuna sandwiches in the truck from a few days ago. So I ate 'em both as I bounced down the road back to my shack.

Anyway, I kinda got side tracked here.
Has anyone else played a Dean Razor Std?
I'd like to hear some comments if you have.

Thanks.
Sorry for rambling.
~ smirks ~

That's the Razor on the right.
My APX-9NA Yamaha Nylon is on the left.

I don't think I've played a Bass more than five or six times in my life. Just dinkin' around with them.

Jackie is comin' over tomorrow and bringin' me a Peavy TNT 130 Bass Amp. Givin' it to me.
'Can't have too few tools', he says.

Attachments

• mix-hardware.jpg
    mix-hardware.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 26
It's a very nice bass for the price. I haven't had it plugged through a bass amp here yet. I won't get that Peavy for a few hours yet. Can't wait to let 'er rumble.

I did play some $800 to $1500 basses just for the hell of it when I was looking at this one. The Razor has a ways to go to compete with them, but I think, like the sales lady told me, that it'll do just fine for studio work.

Back