Dealing with time and tempo changes

Stefan A

I have been recording myself playing tuba duets and so far have chosen fairly simple duets without any deviation from the original tempo or time. So, it's pretty easy to do the occasional punch in or nudge. And it's easy to record and stay together because I am using a metronome in my headphone. But what if I record something that changes tempo - like something as simple as a ritard or fermata? Or if there are meter changes in the middle? I still want the ease of recording and editing, but not sure thats possible once the music is not lined up in the timeline by beat. Any advice?

Stefan

It depends on what you are using to record with. You haven't mentioned any specifics, so no one can advise.

If you are using a DAW program like Cubase, Sonar, etc, you can edit a tempo track to change tempo and time signature. You'll have to know which measure to make the changes at.

If you're using a standalone recorder like a Tascam, then you'll probably have the options as well, but will need to dive into the manual to learn how to make the changes.

Sorry, I knew I left out some important info. I am using Reaper. Also, just to make it clear, I am not recording 2 people. Just me and overdubbing the 2nd part.

So, you are saying there is a way to prepare the track ahead of time with the time and tempo changes?

Stefan

I've been doing this myself on a standalone DAW recently. I've had some ideas for songs and because neither of my drumming pals are in town and I'm hot to trot, I've been taking drum patterns from songs we've recorded down the years. Because the time signatures and tempos change in various parts of the songs, I find it easier to have a rough sketch in my head and then find the pattern with the appropriate tempo or time signature. On the sections that don't have drums, I just hum it straight in as a guide and go with that. If a metronome is necessary, I'll use it in the section needed. I'll record my voice doing any count ins or reminders of what's coming up. Then you just follow your guide and take it out once you're done. Very straightforward once past the initial thinking stage.

Back