dealing with a high pitch tone

treymonfauntre

Magic Bag Of Sounds
a friend of mine gave me a cdr of some home recordings hes done. for some reason they have a high pitch squeel at around 11800hz
sadly if i cut that frequency the high hat and snare lose a lot of their flavor. i tried duplicating the frequency and reversing the phase but that didn't help whatsoever.
any clue how i can get rid of it? any clue why its there? i'm not sure what he recorded these songs onto. they're pretty lofi but then again they've got a lot of clarity.

how narrow of a notch can you cut?
If it's just a single frequency you should be able to notch it out pretty decently without ruining anything else....assuming you have an EQ that will make a very narrow notch and there aren't any harmonics causing problems.

A lot of times there can be electrical interference that causes this. I get a lot of stuff recorded in rooms where the mic is picking up the squeal from fluorescent lights or similar.

strange thing is that it ocassionally skips for a millisecond, as if its from a tape head rolling. but then other times its just squeeling away the entire time.
the tone unfortunately seems to take up from 11650-11850, or at least remnants of it.

Can you go back to the source of the CDR and see if that same squeal is there?

Also, are you trying to clean up these recordings for his benefit, for your benefit or for your joint listening pleasure?

Is re-recording a possibility?

Back