Deafening Feedback

Heat

I am using a Layla card, and i am trying to patch in effects on some of my wave files...I do not use an external mixer...only the mixing software that came with Layla......what I am doing is patching the track from outputs 1 & 2..to the effects rack....and then back into inputs 1 & 2..and recording on cool edit on a seperate track...the problem is i get a very deafening feed back if i attemtp to raise the input or output levels on my mixing software......Am i doing something wrong (creating a feedback loop?) is there a better way to patch an effect than the way i mentined using this setup?? It seems like an easy thing to do...but so far I am going deaf listening to the noise i am making....thanks in advance Heat

I don't know. Does it have something to do with the way your soundcard monitors? Do you have some options in some type of control applet not to monitor those inputs? Anyone else have any ideas? This should work. I do it all the time on my setup with no problems. What is the effects rack?

the same thing happens...i patch it in..start to turn up the volume a bit..and feedback...............

The effect is an Aphex 104 Aural Exciter....ive ruled out this device as being the problem....because ive also patched effects like this before using the same setup using this device.....it must be some volume adjustment im missing somewhere...... just dont know where....would it make any differnce switching all my in and outs all both devices so they are both either -10db or +4db????

Heat,

I have had the same problem only with using an outboard mixer. WHen you turn up your signla to around 0db it maxes out the channel in layla's console. Heres what I did:

For some reason those "monitor" channels on Layla seemd to cause my problem. All i did was assign them to thier proper channels..from left to right the blue buttons should be 1,3,5,7,D. Then I muted all of them. That took care of my problem..but like i said i use an outboard mixer.

Hope that helps a little....

-gen

Thanks man...ill give it a try when I get my rig put back together...(im in the middle of adding a new piece)

Heat

Back