Dead or live?

Henrik

Hello,
I'm starting up a small semi-pro recording studio, where my target group would be demo bands or small record companies who need inexpensive but decent sounding recording.

Right now I'm checking out some locations for this. I've been offered a place where the room I would use as the main recording room is pretty small - something like 14x14 ft (4.5 x 4.5 meters) and the ceiling is approximately 9 ft high (3 meters). There is a small window (approximately 2x2 ft/ 60x60 cm) on one of the walls, close under the ceiling (the room is in the basement of an office building).

Does that room stand a chance of ever sounding any good (for drums for example)? Right now it's all painted concrete. What treatment do you suggest? (Wood floor? Wood panel on the walls? Bass traps and diffusors on the walls and in the ceiling?).

Or should I give up getting any good live sound from it, and instead try and deaden it as much as possible - and then add reverb in the mix?

I'm really thankful for any input you might have!

/Henrik

It depends on what you want to do.
If you intend to leave it as one single room, a square room is just about the worse scenario you can get, and its really to small to turn it into 2 areas.
Next thing, what about sound transmission to the upstairs?

I think the room is not exactly square, but pretty close. Would it help to place something diagonally in the corners (or a few of the corners)? Somewhere I read that bookshelves make a good alternative, since they are good diffusors (plus they can hold books).

Sound transmission isn't a problem, since my intention is to keep the very noisy parts of recording to nights and weekends when the office building is empty.

So what do I want to do? Well, I'd really like to be able to produce an open sound. I'd really like to be able to do good rock drums, mic a guitar amp at some distance as well as acoustic instruments.

But maybe this place is simply not where I want to be. Is there any hope? (I forgot to say, it's really inexpensive).

Yes diagonal stuff in the corners woule definately help
Didi you read John Sayers' information? That would be the most helpful thing to you. Also, visit the site where we all post pis of our "studios being build" that would give you a lot of ideas.
http://www.lis.net.au/~johnsay
I think there is something wrong with the server at the mo - but keep trying!

OK, thanks a lot Sjoko!

Please let me know if you should come to think of anything else.

/Henrik

My two cents...

This is just an opinion and you can take it any way you want...besides bands...I would also open your studio up for commercial work like voice overs...or jingle work...just a thought!!

Joker,
thanks for the idea! You're right, I could do that too. I suppose there are some things I would need to know about that, but it should be doable.

And Sjoko, thanks for the links! I suppose you meant the SAE reference material (the link took me to SAE:s index page). I've seen it before, it's really good. Not just the construction pages, the whole thing is extremely useful. Also cool to see some other studios being built. It seems you have a lot larger tracking room than the one I will have... I suppose there are a few advantages to not living in the middle of a hopelessly overcrowded city.

Cheers
/Henrik

With the ocean on one side, the mountains on the other and a subtropical climate? Naaaaaaaah;)

I think I'll just keep my studio in a depressing industrial area where the sun never seems to find its way. It keeps you focused on music, and the long nights are great to kill yourself in.

But I do like California too.

wel, you know, that's life. At least, you're used to cold, wet, long dark nights, expensive alcohol and stuff like that, I'm not (anymore)
Oh my god, I almost feel guilty :D :D :D

One good thing, you can always come over here for a vacation :cool:

Back