Dead Inside....revisited

joeym

I posted the original version of this one about a year and a half ago....it didn't make it on my last CD, 'cos I didn't think it was good enough the way it was. So now I've gone and fixed a lot of the stuff on it, chorus, guitars, new Drum track (the old one sounded like a drummer on coke....:eek:) some new backing vocals, bass EQ, the lot....still not one of my favourite songs, but at least it's practice.;)

Would really like to know what you guys think. It's called "Dead Inside" and you'll find it here:

dead inside_mp3.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

UPDATED MIX: dead inside_vers 2_mp3.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Thanx!
Joey

Last edited:
Yo Joey... Good stuff. That primal scream at the end is beyond words. If it were possible, I'd almost be willing to trade my drum talent for your vocal cords. Wow. Guitars sound great. Drums are a little too busy for my taste, but that's just personal preference.

Also - your cymbals sound really, really good for being programmed. Whatever you're doing to them, keep doing it. Programmed cymbals rarely sound this good.

The Good
I think all of your sounds are great.
I think your performances are great.
I think the mix is real good.

The Negative
The busy drums...it may just be that the clicky kick is a little too loud for my taste, but it's almost like the drums just exhaust me...They sound great and you obviously put a lot of work into them.

Yeah, great scream

Solid mix Joe....drums do sound busy but kind of go with it...performances are great as per, I hear what Jasons saying about the cymbals..they sound great

Not one of my favourites as it sounds a bit like a few different areas of rock put together, a bit disjointed and not quite as solid as the album tracks..... so you probably made a good decision there

though for anyone else it would be their masterpiece, ya talented bass ;)

I agree with the guys about the too-busy drums, but that's your style and I'm all for it if that's how you want it. This song is more rock than metal though, so a more steady drum performance from the cyber-drummer would really make it flow better. Having said all that, the drums need more body. It's like all attack, and no meat. A lot of the time all I'm hearing is the click of the initial hit and nothing else. The snare sounds good in the verses, but it gets lost once everything piles on. The toms pop out here and there, but they're getting buried sometimes too. Hell just make the whole kit louder and let's see what happens.

On the plus side, everything else sounds phenominal. Great guitars and vocals. Good bass presence. And yeah, the scream at the end is epic. Cool song overall.

Yo Joey... Good stuff. That primal scream at the end is beyond words. If it were possible, I'd almost be willing to trade my drum talent for your vocal cords. Wow. Guitars sound great. Drums are a little too busy for my taste, but that's just personal preference.

Also - your cymbals sound really, really good for being programmed. Whatever you're doing to them, keep doing it. Programmed cymbals rarely sound this good.

Thanx Jason, I'd love some of that drum talent myself, maybe we can make a trade or something....:D
The cymbals...yeah, a little birdie left those and the snare samples on my doorstep...;)
Yes, the drums still sound too busy even though I have tamed them a lot....God knows what I was thinking when I programmed them almost 2 years ago! I'll see what I can do there. Thanx for the comments!

The Good
I think all of your sounds are great.
I think your performances are great.
I think the mix is real good.

The Negative
The busy drums...it may just be that the clicky kick is a little too loud for my taste, but it's almost like the drums just exhaust me...They sound great and you obviously put a lot of work into them.

Yeah, great scream

Yup, nail on the head on the busy drums, Chris, they need to be straighter and that drummer should stop snorting.......! Thanx for commenting.

Solid mix Joe....drums do sound busy but kind of go with it...performances are great as per, I hear what Jasons saying about the cymbals..they sound great

Not one of my favourites as it sounds a bit like a few different areas of rock put together, a bit disjointed and not quite as solid as the album tracks..... so you probably made a good decision there

though for anyone else it would be their masterpiece, ya talented bass ;)

Yes Keith, that's exactly why I didn't chose it for the CD. I tried to experiment some on it, don't know if that worked. But since I'm having a kind of "creative break", I'm using it more as mixing practice. A masterpiece it truly is not.......(was that Yoda there....??:eek:)
Thanx bro!:)

I agree with the guys about the too-busy drums, but that's your style and I'm all for it if that's how you want it. This song is more rock than metal though, so a more steady drum performance from the cyber-drummer would really make it flow better. Having said all that, the drums need more body. It's like all attack, and no meat. A lot of the time all I'm hearing is the click of the initial hit and nothing else. The snare sounds good in the verses, but it gets lost once everything piles on. The toms pop out here and there, but they're getting buried sometimes too. Hell just make the whole kit louder and let's see what happens.

On the plus side, everything else sounds phenominal. Great guitars and vocals. Good bass presence. And yeah, the scream at the end is epic. Cool song overall.

Aha, now that is something I'll have to look at with the drums. I've got parallel compression on the drums and I think the compressed track is louder than the uncompressed ones. Hence the attack....
Yeah, the style of the song is a bit strange...not metal enough but still not rock enough, I don't know, I must have written it on some strange day...:rolleyes:
Thanx for the comments, bro!:)

Overall, I'm thinking this sounds really good Joey. Guitars and vocals - all good.

Despite the fact that you scaled back the cocaine-fueled drum attack, it still is pretty busy. It might be nice if they were simpler and heavier sounding maybe.

I dunno man, your stuff is really well crafted so I sort of have to stretch a bit for suggestions, and I know nothing of the production of metal.

Overall, I'm thinking this sounds really good Joey. Guitars and vocals - all good.

Despite the fact that you scaled back the cocaine-fueled drum attack, it still is pretty busy. It might be nice if they were simpler and heavier sounding maybe.

I dunno man, your stuff is really well crafted so I sort of have to stretch a bit for suggestions, and I know nothing of the production of metal.

Guess it's hard to define as metal, Pete, although it is meant to be heavy. Style-wise I don't really know where this is going. I'll see if I can put a neck-collar on that drummer or chain him to a wall.....:D
Thanx for the comments!:)

Style-wise, I think it's very Soundgardenish, but still 100% Joey :)! That don't add up...don't worry I'm a teacher. I like the guitar tone on this a lot man:D:D! Way better than 'mudgarden' anyway. I like the clean tone too.
Did you use a very different setup for each of them? Although, I think the abrupt chord change and tone change in and out of the verse adds to that song-split-personality vibe somebody mentioned. Still cool, unpredictable. Did you change the drums already? Where's the cracked out EZ drummer? I was expecting the usual, Joey 64th note triplet, kick madness :eek:. Bummer :(. Ok, I think I've prattled enough here. U rok Joe.
:):D:cool:

Nice work Joe,

Nothing to comment that hasnt been said, I like the mix of rock in the song. Great singin.

I don't find the drums too busy myself, I must be the minority! For a 5 minute song this never felt long, and the writing/arrangement are great. Overal no problems with the mix for me. Epic vocals, well the whole thing is epic actually!

Style-wise, I think it's very Soundgardenish, but still 100% Joey :)! That don't add up...don't worry I'm a teacher. I like the guitar tone on this a lot man:D:D! Way better than 'mudgarden' anyway. I like the clean tone too.
Did you use a very different setup for each of them? Although, I think the abrupt chord change and tone change in and out of the verse adds to that song-split-personality vibe somebody mentioned. Still cool, unpredictable. Did you change the drums already? Where's the cracked out EZ drummer? I was expecting the usual, Joey 64th note triplet, kick madness :eek:. Bummer :(. Ok, I think I've prattled enough here. U rok Joe.
:):D:cool:

Hey Brad! Yes, initially when I was planning it out, I was thinking Soundgarden. These guitars were recorded with my SM 57, I still didn't have my GT2 then.....a couple of them are sweetened up with some Amplitube, even the clean ones. Haven't had time to attend to the drums yet, they're not EZ they're Battery 3 with some great samples.
Thanx for the comments, Bud!:)

I don't find the drums too busy myself, I must be the minority! For a 5 minute song this never felt long, and the writing/arrangement are great. Overal no problems with the mix for me. Epic vocals, well the whole thing is epic actually!

Well, I guess it's a matter of taste, Gerry. I wasn't bothered by the drum pattern at the time, but listening to it after months of having it on the shelve, they kind of stuck out. I'll have to see what I can do without changing the vibe of the song. Thanx for the great comments!:)

I don't know many metal albums where the drummer wasn't running along the lines of..." oh, octbans - I can show you octobans and here's the gong and while I'm at it have your heard my new...".
metal drum tracks are as much show'n'tell as providing a solid base - perhaps even more so.
I didn't mind the drums at all Joe but as I know precious little about the art of skins I can't claim an authorative basis.
The song is fine but isn't more than the sum of its parts I think. The performances, captures and arrangements are really hot.

Hey Brad! Yes, initially when I was planning it out, I was thinking Soundgarden. These guitars were recorded with my SM 57, I still didn't have my GT2 then.....a couple of them are sweetened up with some Amplitube, even the clean ones. Haven't had time to attend to the drums yet, they're not EZ they're Battery 3 with some great samples.
Thanx for the comments, Bud!:)

What I was trying to say in my schitzo way is that I don't think the drums needed fixing at all. 'EZ' was a joke, I knew they were better than that :). Ditto Gerry's comment. :)

Back