Dead channel on Tascam 38

kiira

Channel 2 is dead on my 38. Anybody know where I should start looking? The meter dosn't move at all, no record. I have the factory manual I was just wondering if there is some common problem I better check out first before I go too nutso. It is in a nice slant rack with free access to remove the bottom, which I did on purpose so I can could align and bias it in the rack, and the plastic rear panel can be removed too. That thing is a little over the limit of what I can lift so it would be cool to be able to work on it in the rack.

foo.

If your Recorder was shipped by someone like the Devil UPS it has got bumped around pretty well.
First place I would start is to take the bottom off and make sure all of the channel cards are pluged in well. Its pretty easy for them to come loose in shipping.

Also check the health of the patch cord that is connecting the channel.

A bad cable will also stop all signals from entering the channel and make it appear as if the deck is bad.

If you have an ohm meter, test the cable for continuity by putting the test leads on each end of the cable's center connections first to see a 0 ohm reading for positive continuity and then test the ground connects for the same. Lastly, check one end of the cables signal and ground on the meter to make sure there is no short in the wire...a infinite reading on the meter here, tells you there is no short.

Once you have confirmed the cable is good, then try re-seating the channel card inside the bottom of the deck, as Herm described.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
Also check the health of the patch cord that is connecting the channel.

A bad cable will also stop all signals from entering the channel and make it appear as if the deck is bad.

If you have an ohm meter, test the cable for continuity by putting the test leads on each end of the cable's center connections first to see a 0 ohm reading for positive continuity and then test the ground connects for the same. Lastly, check one end of the cables signal and ground on the meter to make sure there is no short in the wire...a infinite reading on the meter here, tells you there is no short.

Once you have confirmed the cable is good, then try re-seating the channel card inside the bottom of the deck, as Herm described.

Cheers! :)

OK cool beanz. I have a Beckman, a DB Volmeter, a scope and 2 signal generators. I have the technology! I'll let ya know what I find... the line cards go in and out from the bottom right?

ciao. kiitso. danke too.

This may seem a little too early to say but, you might want look for visable damage on the heads. They do ware out. Also the wiring on the back of the head is fragile and is easily damaged. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Back