DDR RAM & 2408 MKII (dont like each other)

I heard that DDR RAM and a 2408 MKII dont work well together

has anyone experienced this? Reason I ask, cause I'm building a DAW and I need DDR Ram, I know that SDR is as good, but DDR Ram is better for DAW systems. This would be used in conjuntion with:

WINDOWS XP
CUBASE SX
AMD ATHLON 1800
K7T266 Pro 2 Mobo
and hopefully (3) 512 DDR-ram

to see the motherboard a little closer visit:

www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/0194/011126/kt266a_nforce-09.html

Hadn't heard anything like that before but if it's true I'd like to know about it. I've been running a 2408 with a 700MHz
coppermine but I've been thinking about a new machine. Hmmm..

I've never heard of RAM being an issue of compatibility. Usually it's the chipset, MoBo, and CPU, along with the OS.

Of course in the world of Windows, anything's possible.

This isnt the word...

Sorry to scare or startle you guys, This isn't the Holy Word

it was just something I read on a computer site, (the kid probably didnt know what he was doing) I too never heard of this problem, but decided to put the word out to see if anyone else heard of it, that's all

sorry, didnt mean to alarm yall

well, I actually think you are correct! I was looking at getting a MOTU 2408 mk2...and had heard the same thing. I decided to contact MOTU tech support. I was told that it is NOT recommended to use anything but SDR ram with the mk2. I actually sent this question 2 diff times and 2 diff. support guys answered the same. Notice they didn't say it was impossible to work, but they strongly recommened SDR ram. They mentioned something about their being "issues" with DDR ram....who knows what that means:=)

S

Am I sure that' a fact? NO!! But I am sure that MOTU tech support told me that :=) I did about 3 weeks of research on the 2408mk2, cause I really wanted it. But it just didn't look like it was gonna be worth the trouble. But who knows, they may have told their tech guys to tell users that so they would buy the mk3 instead! But contrary to what I had heard, their tech support was very kind and pretty speedy with responses. But you don't have to believe me :=)

S

That is total weak sauce if a card is incompatible with DDR. How lame is that?!

I can understand chipsets and mobos, but come on.

That is insane. Very hard to believe as well.

As polaris said, very lame.

I'd skip that card if this really true. Engineers must of been on crack when they designed that.

DDR is not 'better' for DAW systems. It's just the flavor of the week/year/month in technology. So it makes sense to buy it, based on that. Not talking quantum leaps and bounds in performance for a DAW, between DDR SDRAM and SDRAM.

Just move with the flow.

I suspect this is misinformation. If the info came from MOTU tech support that would not suprise me. The tech support in general for products of this type is, lame at best.

Like I said, I have no way of knowing this is true, it's just what 2 diff. MOTU tech support people told me. Every question I ask, I always ask at least 2 times. I usually call and send a few emails. I figure if I hear it more than once from diff. tech suppport guys, it has a better chance of being correct.

So if this proves to be true, I hope it saves some of you from making a regretful purchase; but if it's not true, please...

don't shoot the messenger!! :=)

Steven

Emeric said:
That is insane. Very hard to believe as well.

DDR is not 'better' for DAW systems. It's just the flavor of the week/year/month in technology. So it makes sense to buy it, based on that. Not talking quantum leaps and bounds in performance for a DAW, between DDR SDRAM and SDRAM.

Isn't DDR (double data rate) twice as fast as SDRAM? Wouldn't that make it better for any app.?

It's faster for sure, but not quantum leaps and bounds in performance for a DAW, which is, what I was talking about, and I may have dragged the thread off course.

My point was, this nitty gritty stuff equates to very little in the grand equation. Will DDR get you one more track, one more plug-in, improve stability?

One week it's SDRAM, the next DDR SDRAM, RAMBUS blah blah. Keeping it all straight is difficult, no question. They will all work, but what you buy at what time is the key. Maybe, maybe not.

Move with the flow of technology, buy the newest of what is available only when necessary. I'm not running a Pentium 90 anymore, nor are many people. People get hung up on the nitty gritty details that have little impact on what one may be trying to accomplish.

Back