dbx166A controls - Is Tom Cram here?

Bloomington

I have a dbx166A compressor. I read about setting attack and release times with compressors however I don not have an "attack" setting on my 166.

The controls it has are:
For the Expander/Gate section a threshold in db's and a release from fast to slow.
For the Compressor section a threshold in db, ratio and output gain.
For the Limiter it has a peak stop limiter labeled from 0 to 20.

Do any of these correspond to an "attack" setting.

And what is the general opinion of the 166 as far has quality for home recording/small project use?

Any help is much appreciated - wish I knew 1% of what you guys here know.

Brad

I'm here,

The 166a doesn't have a seperate attack control, It is automatic. The old 160VU's didn't have an attack control either. It's just a different way of doing things. As compressors and users became more sophisticated we added more controls. Some people prefer an adjustable attack, some just want a couple of knobs. :)

In fact some old dbx compressors I was turned on to by a guy in the Netherlands (Ole Frost) are the 118 and 119. They only have one knob. Basically adjusts between MORE compression and LESS, simple eh? They sound excellent, very aggressive. Ironic that it took a guy all the way around the globe to turn me on to a comp that dbx used to make.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Last edited:
Tom

Thanks for the reply - Geez I just posted this and your answer was here 15 minutes later!!!!!!

Appreciate the clarification - this is all pretty new to me.

:)

PS - is the 166 fairly decent for home recording use?

>is the 166 fairly decent for home recording use?<

Absolutey. Not just for home use, you'll see 166's and 166a's in pro studios all across the globe.

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Thanks again Tom for a quick reply - are you sitting at work like I am looking at this board instead of doing what I really should be doing?????? ;)

Yes, but...

It's actually part of my job. I surf about 15 different audio bbs' answering dbx related questions. I sometimes even chime-in on topics that are non-dbx related but interest me. Most times it's fun, but sometimes it's a complete and total drag.:D

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Mr. Cram -
While you're on the "line", so to speak....
I have dbx's Model 286 (not the "286A"), and am using it with an AKG C3000. I love it, but need to crank the input gain to get enough signal to the unit. I have a suspicion that it's the mic cable (old Shure cable), because the mic is plenty hot. Could you recommend a better cable? I know I'm losing signal through this junk!
Thanks,

Bob

Roll your own,

I get Neutrik connectors, 3-wire Mogami cable, O2 free solder, and make my own. While your old cable may have a high impedance that is affecting the sound, it might be something else. Is the -10db pad on the mic engaged? What is you recording device?

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Tom-
As I write this I am standing in the corner with my dunce cap on................the pad on the C3000 was engaged! I think I set it when I first got the mic and forgot it. I also got a 15' Monster cable - big difference! Thanks,

Bob

No worries...

It's my job to figure this junk out. I'm glad you are up and running. Now if you had said that you didn't have your unit plugged in, I would then suggest the dunce cap. :)

Tom Cram
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

Hi Tom,

Could you email me the URL's of those other BBS's. If have tried a number of searches and was only able to find one or two others.

BTW... keep up the great work. I have lots of dbx stuff and I get good results from nearly every unit.

Brad
brad@just-for-musicians.com

Back