DBX for Tascam 22-2

fred s.

Im looking at a few different ones, mainly the 150 and 150x. Anyone using these? What's are the differences between the two?

Sound wise I’d say they are the same. The 150 is full rack size and has RCA ins/outs. The 150x is half-rack size, has balanced ¼” ins/outs and can be used unbalanced as well. I still have a 150x and it works very well. The 150x is the newest and most versatile of the two.

:)

There is also the older dbx 180 which has spade lugs on the back and can be balanced or unbalance.

Also, there is the Tascam DX-2D, but it isn't designed for the 22 (at least the DX-4D doesn't work with the 22-4) so you'd need to do the standalone mod even thought the jack fits....

Just curious, do you find noise to be a problem at 15 ips on the Tascam 22?

I think mine is pretty quiet. I only notice hiss at 7.5 ips. Have you demagged recently?

There is also the older dbx 180 which has spade lugs on the back and can be balanced or unbalance...........

To the best of my knowledge, the 180 operates @ +4 and would need a level matching device between it and any machine operating @ -10.

The owners manual says it is adjustable from -12dBm to +16dBm so you're right +4dB is probably its preferred level. The dolby 360's I had were struggling at a -10dB level.

There are 2 tracks (out of 8) that Im mixing where I feel the there's hiss on certain parts...it's not much but enough to bother me at louder eq'd/mastered levels. Usually it's non problematic but present, yes machine is demagged regularly.

I doubt I'll be using the DBX regularly...so I'm looking for a cheap unit-and as my usual luck goes there are none on ebay currently, but 10 will appear after I buy haha.

Just curious, do you find noise to be a problem at 15 ips on the Tascam 22?

I think mine is pretty quiet. I only notice hiss at 7.5 ips. Have you demagged recently?

Last edited:
There are 2 tracks (out of 8) that Im mixing where I feel the there's hiss on certain parts...it's not much but enough to bother me at louder eq'd/mastered levels. Usually it's non problematic but present, yes machine is demagged regularly.

dbx won't do anything for existing noise.

Back