dbx 386 mic pre

snellular5

neil young whore
Hey, I've got the chance to pick one of these up for $150 because the digital outs are not working but the digital outs dont mean anything to me as I will just use the analog puppies( cross breed i might add). Does anyone have any experience with this and if so would you say its worth it especailly as new on zzounds these things go for $475.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Eh, it's okay. For $150, it's nice. Personally, I'd just save up for better. Overpriced as hell (IMO) for $475 (especially when you can get the RNP for about the same).

I've had one for a few years. I got it for a little over $200 and have found it quite useful. But, I do like having both the digital and anaolog outs. Digital: when you drive it hard, its conversion algorithms, which are supposed to act like hitting tape, give a little compression-like punchiness that can be nice. As an analog preamp, it's good, too - simple and warm with a good range of tube drive available.

So, for $150, it seems like a decent price. Some of the dbx units have a modular (and optional) digital output section, but the 386's is not, so it would likely be prohibitively expensive to fix it down the road in case you were interested in it later.

I've got the 386 which I believe is the same Pre in a single channel strip design (Pre, compressor & EQ)... nothing to write home about, but it's in the rack, and gets use, whenever I run out of other options... Bought it used years ago for $250 and I couldn't get enough for it used to justify selling it... So yeah, I'd say go for it...

How's that for a glowing recommendation??

i think it's actually apretty good pre for the money... i have one here that i use the dig outs to run into my FW1884... and i also use it as the frontend of my live keybaord rig... the multiple outs work great for me in that i can take one for my personal monitor and go to FOH with the other... for $150 i'd grab it... and check into getting it fixed...

Alright thanks everyone I think I'm just gonna get it and see if I want to get it fixed in the future.

Back