dbx 286/A

aliengroover

Anyone here use or know anyone who uses this (dbx 286A)? I'm looking to grab a Focusrite Voicemaster, but rumours are flying around my job about it closing down. So if I gotta cut back on price, I'm looking for opinions on this and the Tube Pac. Hopefully I'll grab it before D-day, but if not...verdict...please?
Peace

hi aliengroover!
i´m using the dbx 286a now for more than 1 1/2 year mainly for multitrack recording with an akg c414ubls and live with a shure bm58 . it´s a pretty nice and cheap mic preamp.
my verdict:
1. the input section is not ultra low noise so be careful if using the equalizer
2. the compressor section is very simple and not compareable to standalone compressors but it does its job.
3. the de-esser works well
4. the equalizer section is good and works well. it is specially designed for voice and the frequency bands are set right for giving the voice extra volume in low frequencies and brilliance in hi frequencies. (maybe the noise when using the eq very heavily comes from the TL 74 op amp dbx is using)
5. the expander/gate section is very useful for live usage. on my unit the volume

there is also a effects insert available which i somtimes use for inserting the behringer t1950 tube interface which adds a little bit of tube distortion.
the output is not balanced which i don´t care. because of the high output i never got any hum or noise problem.
if you are looking for a used dbx286 be careful not to get a very old one. i read (on the web) that in the beginning dbx produced units with phantom power not 48V but much less so you could get problems with some condenser mics.
i got it (new) for less than 200$ in austria. over all its worth the money if you are looking for a simple to use and cheap mic preamp i can recommend this unit.

see also: http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/dbx/286A-01.html
for reviews.

regards
zadar

I have an older 286 model, and thought the same thing about the phantom power/input gain being a little weak (using an AKG C3000). Then I contacted Tom Cram on this bbs and he suggested getting a better mic cable. I replaced my old Shure cable with Monster and that made all the difference. Have you seen the new dbx Mini Tube Pre? For $100, it looks pretty good- I'm getting one ASAP.

Bob

Back