dbx 166 question - Tom????

Bloomington

I have a dbx 166 compressor.

My question is what does the "stereo link" switch do?

The way I have it configured is the 2 outputs (for playback) from a Roland 880 recorder are going into 2 channels of a Mackie 1604 and then to my monitors. The two 1604 channels are panned hard left and right I have the dbx 166 plugged into the left and right main inserts of the 1604.

When I hit the stereo link button on the 166 the sound brightens up - albeit a bit more noisy (even though both compressor channels are set the same).

I am just curious as to what is actually happening with this button enabled.

Thanks for the help :)

I have an alesis 3630 with stereo link. when i use it both channels become strapped together, the left channel becomes the master. channel 2 knobs becomes bypassed and only ch.1 is used to make tweaks. I think that is so you get a more even stereo output.

like detuned said it just makes the channel 1 the master switches. Use is for the main mix compression, or live to keep the main mox from destroying your PA.

When compressing a stereo mix the two channels will have different content, if you use two independent channels of compression they will compress by different amounts and at different times, this will cause your stereo image to do funny things. To get around this you need both channels to compress by the same amount and at the same time, in other words you need to 'link' them, hence the term 'Stereo Link'.

Back