dbx 160xt,166, etc.

vwcsonic

Hi,

Question for dbx lovers out there. I currently have one 160xt, two 166, one 166a, and one 266XL. I usually used the 266XL for compressing kick and snare at mixdown. I know most people don't like that unit too much, but the attack and release give me some precise control. I'm just learning my way around compression, but seems like setting the attack a bit slower lets the initial punch of the drum hit through, which sounds good to my uneducated ears.

Question is, I've just recently gotten the 160xt and 166a. Both are supposed to be superior models, but will they give me the same punch on kick/snare that I'm able to dial in with the 266 since they have no adjustable attack/release? Am I better off sticking to using the inferior unit that has the more precise controls for drums?

Any dbx pros out there that could tell me what they like to use some of these models for?

If you want the real DBX sound, just sell em all and get yourself into a 160VU, a 162, or one of the 165's. As far as the others go, they may still please you, even with less controls, or they may not. It really is the kind of thing you need to try for yourself.

Try 'em. :)

True, you have less controls, but let your ears tell you if they sound good or not. The controls don't mean everything and the 160 and 166 units sound pretty good on most things with just a little tweaking.

Enjoy,
Chris

Oh... to answer your question directly.

My 160x usually ends up on the lead vocal track. Bass sometimes, but the bass ends up going through the 166xl more often than not. Sometimes I'll throw a stereo submix of all the backing vocals through the 166xl. Sometimes kick and snare through the 166xl.

For comparison, my drum submix goes through an RNLA :-)D), and everything stands a fighting chance of going through an RNC. If its a clean song, or the 160 just has too much of its own sound for a particular track, the RNC handles the lead vocals. I leave the guitars alone and use volume automation if I need to chance them around, or retrack them. Sometimes the RNC's are used to ADD dynamics to a weak guitar, though. Same thing with the RNLA and a bass.

Take care,
Chris

i had a 166a and sold it, didnt' sound bad but it didn't impress me,
the 166xl is nicer i think cause playing with attack and decay can really change the sound you're working with,
but then i got me a bunch of 163x's, and wow, one button, punchy sound, you don't need no tweaking, you just get a nice sound,
i find the 160x even better, a solid sound, a bit typical dbx but its fat,
there's no control of attack and such on the 160 but it will sound punchier than the 266 (at least thats how i experienced it)

my favorite setup:

kick inside: dbx 160x
kick beater: dbx 163x
snare top: dbx 160x
snare bottom: dbx 163x

i also like the stereo linked 163x's on a drumbuss, a stereo 160x would be even cooler (thats a 162 then, no?)

I would aggree the lack of adjustability on the attack/release a la' the 166' puts you in an it either works or dosen't mode, and sometimes zeroing in on a desired envelope is exactally what it's about. :D

Hey Chris, thanks for the info. I remember a great post of yours I ran across where you went into depth on how you go about compressing things. It went into some great detail. I think it was you anyway because I remembered you were from SC. (I grew up there) I meant to go back and try some of the techniques, but now can't find the post. If you know what I'm talking about, or just feel like giving another little primer on compression, please do. And if I confused you for someone else, I'm an idiot.

266xl sounds great on kick and snare. haven't tried the others. give it a shot.. too much time wasted asking a question you could find out yourself...nobody here has all of these units but you so you gotta figure it out.

I use the 160X on Bass DI sometimes, sometimes on the bass mic. I use a 160A on the sub synth return (DBX120) at the infinity:1 setting to make the sub just hold still. Sometimes I will have the 160A at the end of a vocal chain, after something slower, and at a low ratio just to catch whatever the slower (usually tube) comp didnt grab.

I use the 160's anytime I need something fast, clean, and simple. I LOVE those comps. There is a reason there is at least TWO in every single decent studio on earth. I have 2 160X's, and 2 160 A's these days, along with a stupid collection of other muc more expensive compressors, that suit the work I do. The 160 will always be a valid part of any compressor collection.

I like the dbx stuff.

I own a dbx128II which isn't worth anything, really. It was more-so a consumer stereo tape deck/hi-fi stereo compressor/limiter.

Also:
266 Project1 - I really like this compressor. Similar to the 266XL sans knob notching and I swear it sounds better than the 266XL.
266XL - I have 3 of them and I use them mostly for distorted guitars and/or as side-chain (acting like a wet/dry group mix) for snare or kick during a mix.
160X & 160XT- Great for kick, snare, bass, and vocals. It did depend on the source, naturally. Not a lot of options on the front panel but it certainly holds a signal nice and tight. When pushed hard it reminded me of a Distressor without all the other options, meaning it isn't something that's very subtle except for tones that were already pretty even, like a well recorded bass guitar. I don't have them anymore at my studio (my second engineer owned them, took um back, and he's moved on to Mastering).

-- Adam Lazlo

Chris Shaeffer said:
For comparison, my drum submix goes through an RNLA :-)D), and everything stands a fighting chance of going through an RNC. If its a clean song, or the 160 just has too much of its own sound for a particular track, the RNC handles the lead vocals. I leave the guitars alone and use volume automation if I need to chance them around, or retrack them. Sometimes the RNC's are used to ADD dynamics to a weak guitar, though. Same thing with the RNLA and a bass.

Substitute Republican National Lawyers Association and Republican National Committee for those acronyms and man, that's funny....

Sigh. Google.

Back