db lvl

Scudr4

I am new here so sorry if this has been asked a billion times

When i edit I can get the song to sound perfect, BUT its way to soft b/c my kick, snare and bass like to have tall waveforms...SO how can I boost my Whole song and keep the sound I want??? I try compression on the mixdown but I have to kill all highs or kill all lows. The song sounds great (as much as a garge band can sound :P) its just way to soft (like -15 to -12db) when the 3 arent playing

btw use adobe auditions 2 with a delta 1010

Thanks for help

If the snare, kick and bass have too wide of a dynamic range, why don't you start by compressing *them* instead of ramming the whole mix?

But don't compress them for the sake of sheer volume - compress them because it serves the mix...

And stop mixing with your eyes (but that's for another thread).

Massive Master said:
If the snare, kick and bass have too wide of a dynamic range, why don't you start by compressing *them* instead of ramming the whole mix?

But don't compress them for the sake of sheer volume - compress them because it serves the mix...

And stop mixing with your eyes (but that's for another thread).

b/c my teacher said that compression only needs to go at the end to enhance or hide spots... said "if i mixed it right it wouldnt matter"

thanks for help again

Your teacher either didn't understand the question or is a moron. It is routine to compress kick and snare individually and the drums are sent to a buss with a compressor strapped across it.

Farview said:
Your teacher either didn't understand the question or is a moron. It is routine to compress kick and snare individually and the drums are sent to a buss with a compressor strapped across it.

I vote both...

hes old and still lives in the 100% analog no computer world (but i dont want to bring that issue up).

He might be one of those guys who only does classical. In that aplication, he is right. If you are doing anything other than jazz that has a drum set, compression is pretty standard.

hey farview. You had novembers doom as a client? I noticed some other metal bands i've listened to as well. That's pretty cool. What album did you do with them?

It was a live one. I never got a copy, so I don't know what it is called. They are friends with Disinter (members are shared at times) and I put together all the Disinter albums since 1997.

do you do any black metal bands? How does that work when say a black metal band goes for that "kvlt pure black metal" sound?(you know the horrible productions that darkthrone have) Would they actually have it mastered or anything? Have any bands sent you a CD for horrid production to be mastered?

Back