Days Go BY

You seriously don't sound 13! The songs pretty good, you're a good singer (presuming its you), the acoustic guitar is pretty good but I thought I heard a slip on the very first line, and the intro sounds like it need a click track. It sounds pretty good overall.

I like the tune.... but the recording leaves a lot to be desired.... overcompression on the guitars and vocals & way too much sibilance in the vox.... neither sound as if any attention was paid to the tracking process...

But hey - sounds better than what I could do at 13! Keep at it - even if you never improve your recording skills, seems you got skills in writing!

hey thanks alot....ive been trying to get my recording better....so you think i shud reduce the compression? wats a click track?

What are you using to record with, out of interest. A click track is a beat that is played (usually) into the performers headphones to keep them in beat. You could just use a keyboard metronome or something for this. When the chords come in, everything stays in beat, but before this you're acoustic seems to go off beat.

ok....yea im using the Korg D16 and that has a whole like rythm box or watever you wanna call it built in to it...i'll use that..and ive got a Blue Baby Bottle on the vocals and guitar...there are two guitar tracks...

Damn. Wish I could have a Blue babybottle :D First things first, how much experience do you have with mic positioning? Many of us play around for a while to find a "sweet spot" where the sound is the best. The distance and direction of a mic can make all the difference. I'd seperate the panning of the two guitars a bit. I don't know whether its mp3 compression but theres a general sound problem. Do you have a pop/wind shield? This would help greatly solve the problem of sibilance. I don't think two much needs to be done with this, just a bit of re-tracking. I am however getting a lot of distortion on the vocals. Kinda fuzzy, especially at loud peaks.

yea...the distortion is when i put it onto the comp...i kinda set the level a bit high...wat do you mean by re-tracking? and the positioning i put it in the front end of the sound hole....more towards the neck

If you could get a version without distortion it would make a real difference to what people will say about it. Re-tracking just means rerecording certain sections. The guitar mic position might make it a bit boomy, the usual setup is to aim towards the 12th fret.

ok...i'll re-record it onto the comp right now...i've always found that i dont get as full of a sound when its more on the neck then aruond the soundhole...how far away should it be and should it be facing parrallel to the neck or down towards the soundhole?

I don't have too much experience in the matter, my guess is at a 45 degree angle pointing towards the soundhole but not completely. What preamp are you using?

Back