Day Jobs

rsb

I am always curious what people do for a living.

So my question is this;

What do you do for a living?

What kind of education have you received? ( formal / informal )

Why are you recording music?

Thanks for humoring my curiousity.

Ryan

From 1979 to 2002 I was in the construction biz.

Now I'm a highly-skilled sex toy/kept man.

My new gig is a lot better than the old gig.:)

Educational background: Undergrad-Grateful Dead University. Graduate work completed at School Of Hard Knocks.

I decided to put together a "home studio" back in 99. I had a Portastudio in the early 80's but could never get the sound I wanted out of it. Finding information about recording "how to" was next to impossible back then. So I gave up after a couple years.

Fast forward to now........ well, technology has given us all the opportunity to learn reams about gear, applications, techniques, acoustics, and so on. Now it's a lot easier to put the pieces of the puzzle together and get a much better result.

Besides, what could be more fun than blowing thousands of dollars on exotic shit that nobody else on the block even knows exists???

I conduct experiments on citrus disease in Florida.
I have a bachelor degree in biology.
I have worked part time for home depot (shit) and Victoria Secret (nice but not always). Almost all of my income goes toward my music interest.

Education: BS Electrical Engineering;
Occupation: Design audio and video systems for corporate aircraft;
How I got here: Back in the 70's while in high school some buddies and I decided to build our own studio. We got the hole dug in the crawl space of my parents house and collected tons of egg cartons. Then we went to college. 10 years later after the band I had started fizzled out I traded my PA for a Fostex 4-track cassette recorder and began playing around with it. I recorded a couple of gigs a later band did and decided I needed to spend more time and money on it, so I traded what I had for a bass rig instead (makes sense, huh?).

Fast forward another 10 years: I was doing a lot of travelling for work and convinced my wife I needed something productive to do while on the road, so she bought me a copy of Cakewalk Guitar Tracks, and the current evolution began. I moved up to Sonar for awhile while evaluating it for my church where they didn't have a PC powerful enough to use it after they bought it. Then I decided I wanted to be able to record our worship services multitrack instead of 2-track, so I picked up a used ADAT. Then I added another. And a few months ago I picked up a Mackie MDR 24/96 hard disk recorder and am loving it.

Darryl......

Currently, I manage pre-sales engineers for a very large phone company. And not the one being chewed on by the US goverment :D

Before that I was a VP of operations for several financial/wall street firms, dealing with global router networks, local infrastructure, and many data centers. Oh, and the people that go along with that.

I've built global help desks, I've built global infrastructure, and built trading systems (well, managed thereof).

For a period of time I was an ISP in connecticut who also provided application hosting.

I've been a network security consultant (independant), I was an electrical contractor for 3 years. I've owned and run two pro studios, one as a partnership and one as my own. Both survived no more than 4 years each.

Across all this I've drag raced semi professionally. Crew, tools, tractor trailers and such to get "stuff" from place to place. Glad I'm out of that, and have been for about 8 years. My body dislikes acceleration to that extreme these days.

Education, well, I have no degrees. I merely look halfway decent in a suit :)

I record music because I really enjoy it - the same reason why I enjoy building radical street machines. I enjoy it. To me its like knitting :D

I'm a civil engineer.
I hold a bachelor's degree in civil engineering.
I design roads, retail centers, major drainage facilities, and some public utility systems like water distribution and waste water collection systems.
95% of the work I do is for private sector real estate developers.

I've been doing this for nearly 20 years.

At one point I was a partner in a medium sized engineering firm, but after nearly 10 years of that, I decided that 60-70 hour work weeks were not what I wanted out of life. So I sold my interest in the company, invested the dividends, and took a year off.
Today, I still work in civil engineering. I work for myself, out of my home mostly (sometimes I'll do some work out of a clients office, basically in a contract capacity).

During my year off I played music, learned Nuendo and built my current set-up.
I've played an instrument of one kind or another most of my life. I started out playing the violin in the 2nd grade. In H.S. I switched to the saxophone and dabbled in piano.
I ended up concentrating on piano and thats what i play today (though I still have a sax, and play often too).

I started recording music out of H.S. with a 2 track reel to reel. (upright piano and sax)
Sometime later I bought a four track.
Then put the whole recording scenerio on hold during my stint in the armed forces and later, in college.
Years later, after dusting off the 4-track, and never really being happy with that, I ventured into computer recording with cool edit, cakewalk, and eventually, like I said, built my current system.

As far as why I record music:
I have musical ideas that I like to share with others, and I enjoy the "technical" aspect as much as the creative aspect. I can't understand how you could play music, and NOT want to record it.

There's more, but that's the jest of it.

Civil Engineer Technologist - one year left at school

Got started to record my guitar parts individually and it escalated from there.

I took audio/video classes in college but never graduated.
Worked as a production whore for about 12yrs doing sound, lights, video, production coordinating.
Now I sell CAD software and blow all my money on my home studio.

Headend engineer for a large and evil communications company, which IS getting a good screwing (deservedly) be the gov. I design, build and maintain optical transition networks (dense wave division multiplexing). Telephone (Nortel gear), video and high speed data (Docsis) on coax. This subsidizes my real job as a pro bono musician/engineer. Only tech school and 23 years of hands on in the industry for education, no college. I've always played music and hung out with musicians. Got married young and decided to play it safe and get a day job. Did weekend bar bands and dinner music stuff. Hung out at local studios and bought a Tascam 238 to do stuff at home. Why? To avoid suicide. This has grown into a sizable investment boardering on mania.

I'm an Electronic Calibration Technician for Uncle Sam. I've been doing this for 17 years but have been in electronics for about 26 years. I've repaired and calibrated just about every type of test equipment made. For the past 12 years I've repaired and calibrated survey equipment (transits,theodolites, autolevels, etc), laser distance measurement equipment, laser designators (this is what the laser guided bomb follows to target), north finding gyroscopes and fiber optic test sets. Education? Mostly military (8 years) and lots of OJT. Recording education? Trial and error, massive amounts (obsessively) of daily reading and most important - this BBS.

Why did I get into recording? Because I can't play more than 5 chords on a guitar :D although I can play saxophone. Mainly because my son has a great voice and a great band and I got tired of paying someone else for shitty work. Other than that it's because I love (and can appreciate) just about any type of music and what went into creating it. Except rap/hip hop. I won't go there. I get to work with a lot of kids who I can see the talent in them but other people (including their parents) tend to ignore. Obviously I could never rely on recording for an income because I'm too soft hearted. What's that lawyer term - pro bono?

DD

i am a CAD designer for a company called Dutch Made Kitchens. we do totally custom cabinetry with just about any wood you can imagine. lots of exotic woods! we have done work for such people as dan marino, tiger woods, dolly parton, danny divito, MJ's father, etc. mostly high end stuff that is rediculously expensive and requires a 3d drawing just so the person building it can see that it is possible to build. :)
i have been a musician since i was a wee youngun and have always had a facination with trying to capture sounds. i consider myself a "sonic photographer." i started with a 4 track, moved to an 8 track minidisc, bought 2 adats, added another adat, got a computer and a motu 2408, and the rest is history. ;)
i now have a 1600 sq ft facility and record evenings and weekends. not making much money, but at least it pays for itself.

i am a CAD designer for a company called Dutch Made Kitchens. we do totally custom cabinetry with just about any wood you can imagine. lots of exotic woods! we have done work for such people as dan marino, tiger woods, dolly parton, danny divito, MJ's father, etc. mostly high end stuff that is rediculously expensive and requires a 3d drawing just so the person building it can see that it is possible to build. :)
i have been a musician since i was a wee youngun and have always had a facination with trying to capture sounds. i consider myself a "sonic photographer." i started with a 4 track, moved to an 8 track minidisc, bought 2 adats, added another adat, got a computer and a motu 2408, and the rest is history. ;)
i now have a 1600 sq ft facility and record evenings and weekends. not making much money, but at least it pays for itself.

Wow, its amazing how many (non audio) engineers are here.

I am a Scanning Electron Microscopist at a university - hence the handle 'ebeam' :) .

I have a BS in Materials Science and Engineering and I'm starting work on a masters next year.

I worked for 2 years in the semiconductor industry after graduation. Big bucks, but LONG hours - 60+ per week and I was on call 24/7. I have less money but much more free time now with a normal work week, but that will probably all change once I start classes and thesis work.

I've been playing music since I was maybe 7 or so. I played piano for about 6 years, then started guitar at about 13. I have since started playing bass and drums as well so I can record my own music by myself. I've been recording for about 5 years. I started on a crappy 4 track and really didn't care much about the recording process to start - I was more interested in writing songs. I then graduated to a PC with a Gadget Labs card running Vegas and pretty much no outboard. Now I run Samplitude, have a Lynx card and a growing arsenal of outboard gear. Its really only been the past 2 years or so since I actually started putting thought into getting sounds, etc. Before I would just throw up a mic, press record and as long as it didn't sound absolutely terrible, I'd leave it. Now it seems like I spend more time setting up and getting good sounds than actually recording music. This can be frustrating when you're working by yourself and I think my performances suffer from it sometimes...

Fine, I want to join the (non-audio) engineer club too.

I've got a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering. Currently, I design slot machines. I'm currently working on redesigning the sound system for our main machines. Increasing power and fidelity and moving from two 4" x 2" speakers to a sub, two 3", and two 5" speakers. (No, I don't have any hints on winning at slots.)

I got into recording because I learned to play guitar, bass, and drums as a teenager. I could never find anybody to jam with, so I decided to play everything myself. The musicians I've always felt the most respect for are the ones who write, record, engineer, produce everything themselves. Plus, I've discovered recording is really fun. Like knitting, only better:D

Hehehehehe... I'll join in the fun...

I'm a Senior IT Director for a large music (retail/wholesale) corporation. I also program for a group of 6 or 7 music retailers nationally.

My education... this is where its funny... Psychology... never finished. Started working here while in school and realized that I could make a better living doing this.

Worked as an engineer/session player for a couple of smaller studios when I was a teenager/college student.

Decided to start up my own studio again when my band got signed to a national deal... it was cheaper for me to buy the gear and engineer myself than it was to hire a studio.

Velvet Elvis

in 5th grade i got my first guitar after playing clarinet, sax, all those bogus instruments to me. I never really got big into it until 8th grade when i got kicked outta school and my moms grounded me forever so i played and played and started a band with my nieghbors... we played and played and sucked. i decided i better learn more... got to high school met cool guys started a band and were really good... my rents bought me a recorder to record ourselves instead of forking out dough for a professional studio... i got kicked outta high school, started recording myself acoustically and as an excuse for having people over i recording freinds bands... then got kicked outta my second high school once again i was grounded and back to recording... i got sent to military school (fishburne in VA) and brought my computer, soundcard, software, mixer, mics and guitar there and recorded a bunch of guys in my dorm that played guitar and stuff then i got really into it and got kicked outta military school went home and started upgrading my system... now it's pretty decent... i went to another local high school and started shaping up so my rents contributed to my recording hobby and bought me some stuff and now I do a ton of recording for local bands and freinds and of myself. basically I have no occupation, and my education is shit so thats how i got into recording.

I started playing guitar in 1967, formed a garage band and had a blast. Didn’t play for 15 years until I finally got back with it. I’ve always wanted to record my own music so I jumped into it a couple of years ago. I love spending my spare time in my little bedroom studio trying to get good sounds down. Love to play classic rock, acoustic folk, ballads, hymns, etc. I work for a Federal research laboratory, supervise the support staff and am the business advisor to the director. BBA & MBA degrees. My second favorite pastime is this bbs. You all are very entertaining.

rpe

Back