DAWs GRRRRRRRRRR!

Excellent post Mo. I have used most of the DAW programs out there and Reaper works best for me. One of my collaborators uses Cubase. (Cubase makes me crazy). To each his own.

What a hilarious thread. :D

I never learned how to drive because I was too stupid to figure it out. It's all Ford, GM and Honda's fault. :(

The I tried Adobe Audition 3.0. An associate of mine has 2 downloads left but I could not register it as Adobe no longer supports that DAW. When I down loaded it I got this malware called NetSession that won't uninstall.
Netsession isn't malware. Adobe can provide registration information if you call them AND you are the registered owner of the software. You're not. If your friend is, have him call. This is still stealing software, however, and is not tolerated, much less condoned, on this website. The multiple downloads of Audition are not for sharing with friends (the license prohibits it), but for replacing the installation if you have to re-install the OS or acquire a new machine. Even if you exceed the number of downloads, you can still call Adobe and they'll reset the counter if you have a legitimate reason for doing so. Audition CS6 has a full-featured trial version good for, I think, 30 days. Download that, try it and, if you like it, buy it.

I think that the reason the DAW vendors don't provide adequate instruction is because once you master a DAW by playing Sherlock Holmes you will sick with it because you know it and you know how time consuming it is learning another DAW.
DAWs are complex programs that do complex things. You're not going to find one with a button that says, "Mix This." However, one DAW works pretty much like another -- it's only a question of finding where in the program the specific tool or function is located and that's readily answer either through the built-in Help function, or a very quick Google search.

I could get a Mac and get Final Edit or GB but at this point I don't think that Macs offer that many advantages over the PC running Win 7.
My opinion, only, but I don't think Macs offer any advantages over PCs (including those running XP).

The question is... Which DAW are you using and why?
I use Sonar X2 for tracking. I've been a Cakewalk user since its earliest days and simply kept upgrading. It's powerful and flexible. I use Audition CS6 for mixing new material, Audition 3.0 for mixing old material and for mastering. I find both versions of Audition easy to use, flexible and extremely powerful. Yeah, they're expensive. So are my computers, my instruments and my time.

I use Reaper. Love it. Rarely use the internal plugins, pretty much exclusively use either UAD or freeware plug-ins.

As others have said, Reapers plug-ins are actually good. Very spartan, very utilitarian, but they work. And hell, I've found myself using the free amp sims it comes with on Midi guitars and it actually makes it sound somewhat mediocrly decent.

I have used Pro Tools, Sonar, and Cubase before. Hated Pro Tools (still do), I really liked Cubase but didn't want to fork out the money to upgrade from LE to the full version so ended up with Reaper instead. Sonar was only used to compose midis, and this was back in high school (and sadly with a cracked copy, but only because my friend stole my Cakewalk Express CD that I actually owned), and it was such an old version (version 2, I actually still refer to it as Cakewalk) that I really don't have experience using it as a "DAW" if that makes sense.

I use cubase 6. you can get the LE for free on steinberg site. All vst works and if you dont use a lot of them they keep working

My 1st DAW was Cake's Sonar.

2nd was Presonus Studio One. I still have both.

I've just recently bought Cubase 7.0.5 as my 3rd.

All full & updated versions.

Since I'm brand new to Cubase, I don't have any knowledge of past versions nor reasons to complain about this one.

So far I like it much more than the other 2, and decided to make it my preferred DAW, putting the other 2 on the shelf.

If you're only [or mostly] doing Audio, many prefer Presonus Studio One.

And while I will quickly agree that it is hard to navigate at first & for the first while, they do post numerous videos on their site, accessible from their home page - no account, registration or sign up needed to view.

There are also so many users that like that DAW, that they have posted their own videos & tutorials.

One guy even has his own site dedicated to it, and will even do a video for anyone on the forums just for the asking.

Most agree that "ONCE YOU KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND Studio One", it is very fast for work flow. But again, that can take a while - even quite a while for some.

The only the reason I have shelved it, is because I do mostly MIDI more than anything else, and Presonus have admitted that they don't really care about MIDI all that much, and hence have left out some important features that I need.

In addition I found it more anti-intuitive for MIDI than easy and quick to use.

So for me, it's more of a disappointment than anything else. I haven't done any Audio with it, but it's known to have a very good sound engine.

Further more, they continually gloss over or just ignore any MIDI improvements all together in their updates and new versions - or add very minor MIDI things to it.

Cubase offers me more - much more MIDI tools & options than the others, and like I said - so far so good.

From what I can tell, Cubase is way ahead of Sonar and others, so myself, I'm going ahead full force with it.

He probably just felt like venting. Which is alright, really. Unfortunately, he chose the wrong place. Doubtless he'll get plenty of hugs on Facebook...

Perhaps not... it's always possible. Computers make a lot of people feel angry and helpless. Some see red and say all sorts of shit when they get worked up. Just like some people change when they get behind the wheel of a car. You can't make fine judgements across the internet so easily. People are ruder on the internet because they have distance between them. The way it goes, sometimes.

Wow, that guy disappeared. I have found that most DAWs have channels on Youtube where many tutorials are aggregated, no hunting required. I think his bet bet might be GarageBand, that's fairly child-like.

Perhaps not... it's always possible. Computers make a lot of people feel angry and helpless. Some see red and say all sorts of shit when they get worked up. Just like some people change when they get behind the wheel of a car. You can't make fine judgements across the internet so easily. People are ruder on the internet because they have distance between them. The way it goes, sometimes.

Did you read the posts? The guy blamed everything other than himself for the issues he was having. Pretty sure he got the best from the zoo keepers around here. :)

Back