DAW?

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
a stand alone or host-based DAW would be something like a roland vs or something or any other non computer based hard disk based recorder.. you know , those things with mixers built in that kinda look like 8 tracks except they record to a hard disk not tape.. therefor is a DAW..

- eddie -

What's a DAW? Okay, digital audio workstation, I know that, and I know that's what I'm using (computer with special audio card plus appropriate software), but sometimes DAW means something else, right?

I've heard DAWs described as 'host-based' or 'standalone'? What's all that about?

I always understood a DAW to be something you could edit with, as opposed to plain old "Digital recorders" if it JUST records, its no 'workstation'. if it edits and records and does cool stuff, a workstation it is.

xoxo

It's basically a buzzword. The rule of thumb for standalone/host-based is that if the device is capable of performing only one basic function, or set of inter-related functions, then its a standalone DAW. Anything else is probably a computer-based workstation.

- gaffa

Back