Daw

billabob

hey, im probably just being an ideot. but ive been reading alot of this forum and i keep bumping into the term DAW. Can someone please tell me wat this actually means!!

thanks

xxx

DAW=Digital Audio Workstation

It basically refers to any machine or software that can edit/manipulate audio in digital form. It includes software packages, computers, laptops, compact multitrack recorders, mastering equipment, etc...basically anything that works in digital.

We generally don't call a single piece of rack gear a DAW, but rather a whole system designed for working with audio.

DAW=Digital Audio Workstation

It basically refers to any machine or software that can edit/manipulate audio in digital form. It includes software packages, computers, laptops, compact multitrack recorders, mastering equipment, etc...basically anything that works in digital.

We generally don't call a single piece of rack gear a DAW, but rather a whole system designed for working with audio.

Yep. Well said.

Ducking and weaving.
They teach you this in boxing school.
But I'm a weakling, a coward and "discretion is the better part of valour/he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day" ! :cool:

Dubious Acronym Wankery...

There's only one acronym left now that matters, anyway... GFC

Digital Audio Workstation was what my Yamaha AW4416 had written on the box all those years ago when I bought it... so way back when it meant a single unit like that. Most people now use it to describe a complete system as the very learned Raw Depth has pointed out.

Some people on this forum have used it to describe just the software on the PC, which is a tad misleading...

Back