DAW Users With ADD

I thought it was cool having a four track cassette.It was even cooler when I had an eight track digital recorder.When I synced up a drum machine to the recorder,I was king of the world baby!

Now I have all the effects,samples and tracks I want.All I need now is talent and creativity.:o

I like monkeying around with the stuff mostly.I want to hear what I'm reading,get my hands on the stuff and hear for myself.It's a good time to be a musician,thirty years ago I would've spent as much on a reel to reel as my present rig.

When was the last time you waited for a tape to rewind,irritating ,isn't it?

Up to no good
I finished a sing,a crappy song,but it has a beginning,a middle and an end.Granted the begining ,middle and end are all the same,but it's still a song none the less.

It's called "Leaves",you'll find it here if you're inclined toward listening to it...

Yeah I know,it was pretty bad,but I've got to use that recording equipment once in awhile.

I know what you guys really want is that show tune I promised you....

Superbowl
The commercials sucked,the game was okay.I was hoping for overtime but Manning wouldn't cooperate.

Work
It's going to snow about 10" and we've got no work so I'm off tomorrow.
Let's see,should I record crappy songs,or should I make crappy videos?Decisions,decisions....

Okay I've got other threads I've got to ruin....

LATER!!!

It's called "Leaves",you'll find it here if you're inclined toward listening to it....

http://cid-386b680508481b53.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1&isFromRichUpload=1

Later!

This could actually be my favorite song of the stuff you've written. The only negative (which you've already alluded to) is it needs a bridge to break it up a little. Probably where the first harmonica solo is. You wouldn't even have to repeat it, as I think with a bridge, you could leave the second harmonica solo where it is. As it stands now, it's just a tad too monotonous.

Don't take the comments wrong. As I said, I really like this. Just needs a little more work and polishing.

As for Till There Was You, I have to ask, is there a little girlie-man inside you trying to break out? If so, s/he's succeeding. :p :p :laughings:

This could actually be my favorite song of the stuff you've written. The only negative (which you've already alluded to) is it needs a bridge to break it up a little. Probably where the first harmonica solo is. You wouldn't even have to repeat it, as I think with a bridge, you could leave the second harmonica solo where it is. As it stands now, it's just a tad too monotonous.

Don't take the comments wrong. As I said, I really like this. Just needs a little more work and polishing.

You know what,that song just started as me srumming along with a loop and laying parts on it until I said "hey,this sounds almost like a song".I'm surprised you liked it,it's nothing like I heard ion my head,I can't sing it even though it's simple.Mostly I just wanted to play lazy behind the beat harmonica licks.

I totally suck at arrangements,bridges,all thast stuff that's essential to good songwriting.:D

I do have a song I'm working on now that's actually a real song.Maybe Ill lay it on you and see if you can add something,Imean if you're not too busy.:rolleyes:

I do have a song I'm working on now that's actually a real song.Maybe Ill lay it on you and see if you can add something,Imean if you're not too busy.:rolleyes:

Whatever I can do to help, let me know. Although I must admit, I'm better at telling other people what's wrong with their stuff, than creating anything on my own. :o :o

Up to no good
I finished a sing,a crappy song,but it has a beginning,a middle and an end.Granted the begining ,middle and end are all the same,but it's still a song none the less.

It's called "Leaves",you'll find it here if you're inclined toward listening to it....

http://cid-386b680508481b53.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1&isFromRichUpload=1

Later!

I agree with Mike - my favourite of that you have done. Lovely melancholy harmonica playing and some Led Zep style organ (track - Since I've been Loving you) in there too around 2min 10.

Bass a little too fullsome perhaps but apart from that very nicely played all round and sung.:D

I agree with Mike - my favourite of that you have done. Lovely melancholy harmonica playing and some Led Zep style organ (track - Since I've been Loving you) in there too around 2min 10.

Bass a little too fullsome perhaps but apart from that very nicely played all round and sung.:D
Thanks for listening Paul.

I actually cut down the bass from my first mix.:o:D:rolleyes:
As I listen on the headphones it's too much.Other than that I listen in my basement,which is not acoustically correct,on my monitorrs and stereo then both of my trucks.I do have two boom boxes I should probably be trying then out on too.
What it boils down to,is I usually try to come up with a compromise mix that sounds best on all of them.

Another thing,in a way I think the same person shouldn't both track and mix,but seeing as I'm a home recording one man band....whatchagonnado?

I'm surprised you both like it.Usually I just record chord progressions and just add parts,this one I put vocals on and called a song.:D

Life insurance
My term policy went up by 40%:eek:,I can see a small increase but that's ridiculous.I'm the kind of guy if it just goes up a little bit here and there I'm a customer for life.I think this guy wants me to take my business elsewhere.:mad:

LATER!

Life insurance
My term policy went up by 40%:eek:,I can see a small increase but that's ridiculous.I'm the kind of guy if it just goes up a little bit here and there I'm a customer for life.I think this guy wants me to take my business elsewhere.:mad:
You better hope you never have to buy health insurance. That's the biggest scam going. :mad: :mad:

Speaking of expensive stuff, I heard a comedian the other day commenting on the fact that most people seem to think we invaded Iraq because of their oil... which is "the most expensive stuff on earth." He said, obviously none of these people have ever had to buy printer ink.

:D :D

We got hit with a pretty good snowstorm today. The worst I can remember in the past five or ten years. This comes on top of a pretty good one last weekend, and another forecasted for early next week. We're starting to run out of places to put the stuff. :( :( :(

Oh, and did I mention our lead singer is currently spending his annual 8 weeks in Aruba. Bastard!!!! :mad: :( :mad: :(

Thanks for listening Paul.

I'm surprised you both like it.Usually I just record chord progressions and just add parts,this one I put vocals on and called a song.:D

LATER!

Maybe thats whats came accross best - the fact you just got a groove going and built on it. There are a lot of creative muso's who just run "record" for hours and see what happens, then save the best bits and take the ideas and create a new song.

Peter Gabriel does it that way , I know. He actually employs a "vibe archeologist" who is in reality a librarian whose job it is to save and cross reference all the sounds and loops that PG makes in his sessions. He has over 12 years worth so you can imagine the task to keep all that material in check.:eek:

Listening again to the bass, maybe its not that its too forward that I hear but that it occupies too big a space, sonically? Maybe try EQ'ing it so it still supports the song whilst not becoming too "in yer face?"

Anyway, I still like the track a lot and its better than any of my stuff (wot stuff?:confused:)

Off to London today, dinner at a swanky restaurant :rolleyes: and then seeing Phantom of the Opera in Covent Garden.

Staying with daughter #2 tonight and then out to lunch with daughter, her boyfriend and his parents tomorrow, before heading back home. Then one week at work and then its vacation time!:cool: This time, the Canary Islands - Lanzerote, off the African coast.:D

Did I tell you what a tough life it is being me?:laughings:

Peter Gabriel does it that way , I know. He actually employs a "vibe archeologist" who is in reality a librarian whose job it is to save and cross reference all the sounds and loops that PG makes in his sessions. He has over 12 years worth so you can imagine the task to keep all that material in check.:eek:

If that job opens up I'm taking it.:cool:

Laying down the law
I'm officially the worst father ever because I have implemented a new set of rules in the house...

Tables and benches are not shelves
you can't save every art project that the kids ever made
hair pins,clips and bands do not belong in every room in the house
coat hangers belong on the rack,not the floor or dresser top

I know,how draconian.

LATER!

Laying down the law
I'm officially the worst father ever because I have implemented a new set of rules in the house...

Tables and benches are not shelves
you can't save every art project that the kids ever made
hair pins,clips and bands do not belong in every room in the house
coat hangers belong on the rack,not the floor or dresser top

I know,how draconian.

LATER!

I had some further rules:

Lights do not turn themselves off when you go out
The bathroom floor is not where wet towels are kept
Showers are cheaper than baths to run - unless you stay in the shower for 15 minutes or more
The foot of the stairs is not where shoes, bags, shopping, school work, yesterdays clothes etc are kept.
The house phone system (3 lines) does not need using 24/7
All 6 house phones do not need to be kept in childrens bedrooms
Its okay for friends parents to share driving/taxi duties with us
We do not run an al la carte menu service
Under the bed is not for storing used food plates and dishes...or empty food packets.

See, thats draconian.:D

So last night it took me 2 hours to get home, a journey from the office that usually takes 25 mins:eek: This is because of 5" of snow.:eek:

The good news is, that it was still causing traffic chaos this morning and I was due on a 360mile round trip today to see an irate customer but it got cancelled:D

As I go on holiday for a week on Sunday morning , instead of spending all tomorrow doing email and catching up with everything ready to fly off, I can now do it today:D:D:D

I thought I would share with you a picture of the pool where we are going:cool: Its 76-80deg F there at present - I just gotta have some sunshine and warmth:)

Take care whilst I am away, I'll see if I can cheer you up by posting - I know you look forward to hearing how my vacations are going;)

:)

Attachments

• TimPal.jpg
    TimPal.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 28
Snow
I'm off tomorrow because of it.Or at least because we're so slow that any time it snows they call off work.:rolleyes:A few years ago they wanted us to come in during snowstorms much worse than the one that's coming.

Well,that sucks
I blew my monitors.:(I was mixing something on the fly and I clicked on something that went to 10....and I did it again just for good measure:rolleyes:.They sound alright up to 5,but start to crackle afterwards.I don't have any money,so I guess that's my Father's day gift.:mad:

But here's a depressing thread on the current state of the music business:
And yet if things had progressed in exactly the opposite order,people would be complaining about that.I see it more as part of the evolution of music in culture.Remember this whole recorded music thing is only a century old or so and for the first time the power is in the hands of the common man rather than the corporations.Something has got to give,I don't know if people thought we could have our cake and eat it too.

LATER!

Back