DAW Users With ADD

What happened to my post from yesterday? Doodee doodoo. Twighlight Zone crap...

Anyway, good to be back home from the beach. Beach is getting boring. Forty-five minutes up and down the coastline searching the high tide mark for more perfect seashells that my wife puts outside to get crushed anyway and I've had it. Good to see Dave (non musician friend) ((yes, I do have a few)). $100 for a hotel room for the night, $80 in food for the trip there, overnight, and back. Plus whatever my wife spent on souvenirs... Could have bought a case and power supply with fans for the new build...Oh well, happy wife, happy life, I always say!

no offline installer.
:mad::mad::mad:

The other thing I'm not liking about recording software these days is that it's become "salesware", they always install a way for you to spend even more money instantly, put in presets and make you scroll menus that include everything that need software you haven't bought (yet).

The weather
I want March back, April is sucky and looks to be sucky for awhile.

Tomorrow
The brown truck will be leaving something on my doorstep.

I changed my gear buying strategy, instead of buying something because it's so cheap I can't afford not to buy it, I bought exactly what I wanted.:rolleyes: a BOSS VE 8 and an Electro Harmonix C9 will make the island of misfit toys a little more crowded.

Reviews to come.

LATER!!!

I like the reviews but even better is the "dual review,", 1)the initial out of the box and 2) a month or more later..the second "seasoned review". The latter is often even more interesting.

in Texas the complaint is cold at 59....and Dez getting some news soon, 2 new receivers grabbed so whats that tell you? Dak and Ez, the new blood are at $3mill and carrying the team mojo, the old normal paid are fine...but Dez is getting the pay of 3 or more people and hasnt had a hit album for a long long time. Making a play here and there for $70mill isnt enough.

I like the reviews but even better is the "dual review,", 1)the initial out of the box and 2) a month or more later..the second "seasoned review". The latter is often even more interesting.

in Texas the complaint is cold at 59....and Dez getting some news soon, 2 new receivers grabbed so whats that tell you? Dak and Ez, the new blood are at $3mill and carrying the team mojo, the old normal paid are fine...but Dez is getting the pay of 3 or more people and hasnt had a hit album for a long long time. Making a play here and there for $70mill isnt enough.

I pretty much play the same acoustic I've had for the last 30+ years and everything else gets played with for a bit and then put on the shelf to collect dust.:o The VE 8 dovetails with what I do mostly, so that might actually get used.

Dez can play with Jordy on the Raiders.

OBJ might be joining them on the left coast.

Wide receivers: can’t live with them, can’t live without them. :(

Although I might live with Larry Fitzgerald, if age weren’t a consideration.
Jordy was great, he just got slow and expensive.

I have a feeling that the next time the Packers win a Super Bowl, Aaron Rodgers won't be the QB.

My C9 review

I'm super happy with it. I've been wanting it since it first came out and I finally got it.

Some reviews I read said you need to put a compressor in front of it to get it to respond better, but I had zero problems getting a strong signal. There were also some complaints about the "click" feature, but I like it.

The things I don't like, it needs a power suppy, no batteries.:sad: Also the main reason I bought it was because of the Mellotron flute sound which sounded great in the demos I heard, but I was underwhelmed by it when I played it. In fact it was my least favorite sound. Perhaps it's a technique thing that I need to work on.

If there's a cheaper way to get into guitar synthesis I'm unaware of it. I bought a You Rock guitar a couple of years ago and while it was very nice in concept, it was poor in execution. This is a cool creative tool, a great way to break the guitar rut without having to stop playing guitar.

You have both dry and organ levels so you can mix your sound to taste. The sounds are solid and sustain real well. The mod and click knobs interact differently depending on the sounds, so you really can't have blanket settings.

The pleasant surprise was the "shimmer". In a way it's more of an effect than a sound. While I played the rest of the sounds 100% wet, shimmer worked fucking great with guitar mixed in. It has some kind of a gate that keeps it down when the guitar is playing, but it swells like a synth pad in the "open" spots. It's like having accompaniment rather than sound replacement. I could see using this on whole songs or to add emphasis to parts.

I played with this for about two hours last night and such a blast that I actually drank a beer on a week night. I haven't touched my VE 8 yet, that's a little more complicated.

Can you see yourself using this for anything more than one novelty song?

I don’t get the dual outputs. Usually there’s a wet/dry knob. On this it seems you need to actually move the cable around? :confused:

Can you see yourself using this for anything more than one novelty song?
Well that's entirely dependent on your talent and creativity.;)
The sounds are solid enough that you could play with it turned on 100% wet all night IMHO. The series started with the B9 a few years back and has expanded to I think five models. Reading reviews it seems like a lot of people have bought more than one, so it's not a flash in the pan or marketing hype. It's not MIDI so it has no lag, glitches or ghost notes, it interprets exactly what you play. As always, if you want to sound like a keyboard player, you have to play like one. For some that's drag, for me it's fun. It's a tool that can be a toy, not the other way around.

I don’t get the dual outputs. Usually there’s a wet/dry knob. On this it seems you need to actually move the cable around? :confused:

You can run it out to two sources, guitar to an amp and organ to either the PA or another amp. If you only use the organ output the signal is mixed.i tried a lot of stuff 100% wet just to hear the sounds, but it's really thick and lush when you dial in the guitar.

My VE 8 review
I play mostly solo acoustic stuff but I've never really thought about using effects, a harmonizer or a looper, I play straight up. When I saw BOSS put all three in one box however, I changed my mind.:D

The box is totally solid,well built and has all kinds of connections, including USB, so it can be used as an audio interface. Lots of combinations to fit different situations.You can also use an external foot switch to access different functions.

There are three components, guitar effects, harmonizer and looper.

For guitar you get resonance, reverb, notch filter and a switchable effect of your choosing.Effects like resonance I put under the category of "sounds different, but not necessarily better". I'll play around with it some more and maybe I'll change my mind.
The effects are by BOSS so they are usable and what you would expect. I kind of wish they would've put an acoustic simulator so you could plug an electric in it. I would gladly give up the ring modulator.:rolleyes:
The biggest problem here, all effects parameters other than mix are accessed through sub menus.You really have to make some presets you can live with ahead of time.

The harmonizer is simple, it can be set up to follow guitar chords, to a set scale or a hybrid setting. I used to have a Digitech Vocalist so I have a little experience with this. I think the secret is to take what the harmonizer gives you. I think the biggest failure of these kind of effects are peoples expectations.:rolleyes:

I'm a lousy singer but what intrigued me about the harmonizer was playing a harmonica through it. You've got to play single notes for it to work and I need to get the feel of it yet. It's hilarious, it sounds like a horn section. It's definitely ripe for abuse in a good way.

The looper is basic, you can overdub, but there's no undo.That's the biggest flaw. You can port either guitar or vocal to it and this is switchable via an external foot switch.
I never looped before but I got the hang of it pretty quick. For me the secret was not to think of the switch as "on and off" but as a beat. I'll play something three times through,tapping my foot, hitting between one and two and then between two and three so that it's smooth. I've done long chord progressions and percussive beats and it's all been good.

While everything is usable in this box, you could probably go out and buy individual boxes than would out shine the individual components. I think this is a classic case of the sum being greater than the parts. It's a well rounded tool box at what I think is a pretty good price point for what you get and how it's built.

Attachments

• ve-8_top_gal.jpg
    ve-8_top_gal.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 5
Saturday
Good morning everyone.

I'm spending the day on a spring cleaning project we started last week,cleaning a space in the basement and trying to make into a usable area for doing crafts. We've been in the house 23 years and this is the first time we addressed this area since we moved in. It was basically a dumping/storage area up till now. When you live someplace for this long you accumulate things, you have to THROW SHIT OUT!

The weather
I may have said this before but, CAN WE HAVE MARCH BACK?

Please, April has been shitty and cold.

LATER!!!

Supposed to be 80 degrees here today. :eek:

Yesterday I uncovered my patio furniture. Tonight I’m throwing a steak on the barbie!! :)

Of course tomorrow’s high is supposed to be mid-40s. WTF? :mad:

Supposed to be 80 degrees here today. :eek:

Yesterday I uncovered my patio furniture. Tonight I’m throwing a steak on the barbie!! :)

Of course tomorrow’s high is supposed to be mid-40s. WTF? :mad:

A week ago I thought it was going to be ribeyes on the grill, but the weatherman pulled the rug out from under me.:mad:

Back