DAW Users With ADD

Computer problems
My Acer computer I bought two years ago I think was made from a recycled refrigerator because it freezes up all the time.I'd like to reformat and reinstall Windoze,minus the significant amount of bloatware that came with it but I don't want to be left without a way to access the internet in case I run into problems.I've been toying with the idea of buying a laptop and a wireless router not only as a backup,but also to relieve demand on our single Internet computer.I'd do it in a second if I were working steady.It's not that I can't afford it,I can,but in my life the moment I spend money on one thing,something else will go bad immediately after I spend the money.:rolleyes:

I thought about a web book,but...no.

The weather
Ab-so-effin-lutely fantastic.Of course it's supposed to be nice all week and terrible over the weekend.:mad:

LATER!!!

the moment I spend money on one thing,something else will go bad immediately after I spend the money.:rolleyes:
I hear that. On Dec. 12th or so, I bought a new refrigerator. I didn't absolutely have to - the old one was 20 years old, but still working - however, it was time.

No sooner do they deliver the new fridge, when my old TV dies. :( So now I'm out buying a new 46" plasma TV.

The old TV was a projection model, which meant it was fairly large and bulky, but it also sat on the floor. The new one, of course, is a flat panel, and it doesn't sit on the floor. So now I'm out buying a wood cabinet to sit the new TV on top of. (I could have wall mounted it, but I would still have needed a cabinet anyway for the cable box, DVD, etc.)

So now I'm set, right? Well, not completely. The new TV is a 1080p model. Broadcast TV is only done in 720p or 1080i. Of course, I'm gonna need something to show-off the new TV's capabilities. Hellooooooo Best Buy. Yeah, I'll take one of those Blu-ray players over there, thank you very much. :o :o

In the meantime, I realize that I can connect my Zune into this new system, and essentially have my entire music collection at my fingertips, which can play back through my stereo system. This only cost me a docking station ($20) and a cable ($15).

And so far, it's only mid-March. :rolleyes:

I hear that. On Dec. 12th or so, I bought a new refrigerator. I didn't absolutely have to - the old one was 20 years old, but still working - however, it was time.

No sooner do they deliver the new fridge, when my old TV dies. :( So now I'm out buying a new 46" plasma TV.

The old TV was a projection model, which meant it was fairly large and bulky, but it also sat on the floor. The new one, of course, is a flat panel, and it doesn't sit on the floor. So now I'm out buying a wood cabinet to sit the new TV on top of. (I could have wall mounted it, but I would still have needed a cabinet anyway for the cable box, DVD, etc.)

So now I'm set, right? Well, not completely. The new TV is a 1080p model. Broadcast TV is only done in 720p or 1080i. Of course, I'm gonna need something to show-off the new TV's capabilities. Hellooooooo Best Buy. Yeah, I'll take one of those Blu-ray players over there, thank you very much. :o :o

In the meantime, I realize that I can connect my Zune into this new system, and essentially have my entire music collection at my fingertips, which can play back through my stereo system. This only cost me a docking station ($20) and a cable ($15).

Welcome to the world of the perpetual upgrade.........:(

Wifey wants a new kitchen...I'm pretending I'm deaf.:)

How prescient were those words. . .

We had a really bad storm here over the weekend. Heavy rains and high winds for part of Friday, all day Sat., and most of Sunday. Trees uprooted. Power lines down. And some pretty bad flooding.

I lost power for about an hour on Sat., but mostly got through unharmed. I didn't even leave the house until Monday morning.

Monday I went to go food shopping, and when I started my car several idiot lights came on (VSA light, check engine light, etc.). I drove it anyway and it was not responding properly - hesitation, bucking, etc. So when I got back I made an appointment at the dealer.

This morning I brought it in for the appointment. It turns out some animal (probably a squirrel or chipmunk, since we have many in our neighborhood) had made a nest on top of my engine block. It also decided to chew away at all those pretty wires. I imagine the bastard was trying to get out of the rain, and found this nice dry spot under my hood. :mad: :mad:

The dealer is currently replacing the wiring harness - for the tidy sum of $1600.00. :( :( :mad: :mad:

I'm telling you, all of this is because I bought that refrigerator back in Dec. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Don't go for that computer AR.

In the meantime, I will be in the market for a shotgun, after which I plan on going Elmer Fudd on that squirrel.

How prescient were those words. . .

We had a really bad storm here over the weekend. Heavy rains and high winds for part of Friday, all day Sat., and most of Sunday. Trees uprooted. Power lines down. And some pretty bad flooding.

I lost power for about an hour on Sat., but mostly got through unharmed. I didn't even leave the house until Monday morning.

Monday I went to go food shopping, and when I started my car several idiot lights came on (VSA light, check engine light, etc.). I drove it anyway and it was not responding properly - hesitation, bucking, etc. So when I got back I made an appointment at the dealer.

This morning I brought it in for the appointment. It turns out some animal (probably a squirrel or chipmunk, since we have many in our neighborhood) had made a nest on top of my engine block. It also decided to chew away at all those pretty wires. I imagine the bastard was trying to get out of the rain, and found this nice dry spot under my hood. :mad: :mad:

The dealer is currently replacing the wiring harness - for the tidy sum of $1600.00. :( :( :mad: :mad:

I'm telling you, all of this is because I bought that refrigerator back in Dec. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Don't go for that computer AR.

In the meantime, I will be in the market for a shotgun, after which I plan on going Elmer Fudd on that squirrel.

Bummer Mike, really bad news. I have squirrels that dig holes in my prize lawn that drive me mad but if they were to chew my car I'd really be pissed at em.:mad:

Bummer Mike, really bad news. I have squirrels that dig holes in my prize lawn that drive me mad but if they were to chew my car I'd really be pissed at em.:mad:
It dawned on me that this might be covered under the comprehensive section of my auto insurance. Comprehensive is for damage to YOUR OWN car that doesn't result from a collision; e.g., windshield damage from a stone that was kicked up, falling tree limbs, vandalism, etc.

Hopefully they will cover it. I will have to pay the first $100, but that's a sight better than $1,600. :eek:

It dawned on me that this might be covered under the comprehensive section of my auto insurance. Comprehensive is for damage to YOUR OWN car that doesn't result from a collision; e.g., windshield damage from a stone that was kicked up, falling tree limbs, vandalism, etc.

Hopefully they will cover it. I will have to pay the first $100, but that's a sight better than $1,600. :eek:

Yes, they should do unles there is a clause buried in the small print that says rodent damage is not covered unless there is a Z in the month.:mad:

Do you have a protected no claims bonus? Otherwise your premium will rise at renewal.:( But you can always shop around for quotes.

Do you have a protected no claims bonus? Otherwise your premium will rise at renewal.:( But you can always shop around for quotes.
To my knowledge, they only raise your rates if there is a collision claim (accident) or traffic tickets (moving violations such as speeding or careless driving).

At least when you shop for quotes, that's all they ask about. :confused:

Still, even if they were to raise my rates by $200 or $300 a year, I'd still be ahead of the game for at least 5 years.

My daughters car (a four year old Ford with less than 40kmiles on the clock, always been fully serviced by a Ford Dealer) caught fire last August whilst she was driving on the motorway and was an insurance write -off. They have doubled her premium so we shopped around and got the same deal she had before:confused:

I got a text yesterday from my wife - seems "we" are in the market for a new tumble dryer as ours has now packed up :( And less than four years old :confused:

And I know we are are besotted with table lamps, downlighters and spot lights but jeez, the quantity of light bulbs we get through in our house is staggering.:mad:

My daughters car (a four year old Ford with less than 40kmiles on the clock, always been fully serviced by a Ford Dealer) caught fire last August whilst she was driving on the motorway and was an insurance write -off. They have doubled her premium so we shopped around and got the same deal she had before:confused:

I don't understand that nonsense. :mad: :mad:

...unless she was carrying propane tanks in the back seat. :D

I got a text yesterday from my wife - seems "we" are in the market for a new tumble dryer as ours has now packed up And less than four years old
My dryer is probably 20 years old. I've had to replace a drum belt and an ignitor over the years, but otherwise it still runs fine. Of course, I probably only average one load of clothes a week. That is, except for when my son was living here - which coincidentally happens to be the same period of time when I had to replace the belt and ignitor. :rolleyes:

Going to see Green Zone this afternoon. I've give you my review later.

Still waiting to see if my insurance is going to cover the rodent damage to my car. They called today and are going to inspect the car tomorrow. Not sure what they are expecting to see. I'm sure the nest has been removed by now, so all that's left are some chewed wires. They can't take a statement from the dealer regarding the damage?

Car insurance
My wife's car got sideswiped by a hit in run driver while it was parked at a mall.The company took care of it no questions asked and no increase in rates either.

The dealer usually charges 2-3 times as much as a regular mechanic in order to cover warranty work on other cars.The trick is finding a mechanic you can trust.I have one and he'll probably be my mechanic for life just for that reason.

$$$
Well I'm not buying another computer and the wife and I are seriously consider dropping our life insurance policies.We have no debt and her Roth can be accessed penalty free in case of emergencies.If either of us were to die the other would receive SS benefits in the name of the children until they are eighteen plus I'm seven years away from being able to draw on a pension if I should so choose.It may sound like a risk,but realistically the chances of something happening are pretty slim and as each year goes by we have more and more money stashed away.It's a tough call.

My washer went out two years ago,my dryer is going fifteen years strong,the dial only works on certain settings,I've replace the igniter and regulater,but next time it gives me problems it's bye bye!

LATER!!!

Going to see Green Zone this afternoon. I've give you my review later.
Pretty good movie. The best I've seen in awhile.

I thought it was excellent until Matt Damon becomes "superman" in the second half of the movie (although, I imagine for some people that was the best part of the movie).

I give it a thumbs up and suggest you go see it.

the wife and I are seriously consider dropping our life insurance policies.
That's a tough call. I still have my life insurance policies - even though I don't really need to worry about caring for anyone, i.e., no wife and the kids are of majority age.

OTOH, the policies are not for large sums. So I figure I'll keep them around if for nothing more than to cover my funeral expenses. I would not want to burden my kids with that expense.

Also, they are either whole life or universal life policies... so they also have a cash value, just in case my retirement plan doesn't proceed as as projected. (Of course, that would mean my kids would get stuck paying to bury me. But I guess that's better than paying for feed and house me before I die.) :)

That's a tough call. I still have my life insurance policies - even though I don't really need to worry about caring for anyone, i.e., no wife and the kids are of majority age.

OTOH, the policies are not for large sums. So I figure I'll keep them around if for nothing more than to cover my funeral expenses. I would not want to burden my kids with that expense.

Also, they are either whole life or universal life policies... so they also have a cash value, just in case my retirement plan doesn't proceed as as projected. (Of course, that would mean my kids would get stuck paying to bury me. But I guess that's better than paying for feed and house me before I die.) :)

Well mine is for considerably more than funeral costs and I'm thinking about at least down sizing it.My kids both have 10K coverage for $40 a year,those I'll keep.

We're pretty disciplined money wise and I'm thinking about putting the money into my own account rather than the insurance companies.

Right now it's just thinking out loud.

Well mine is for considerably more than funeral costs and I'm thinking about at least down sizing it.My kids both have 10K coverage for $40 a year,those I'll keep.
Maybe see if you can convert it to a paid up policy. And then look into term insurance if you feel you need any short term coverage until the kids get a little older.

Term insurance should be considerable cheaper, and then you can drop it when you no longer need it.

Maybe see if you can convert it to a paid up policy. And then look into term insurance if you feel you need any short term coverage until the kids get a little older.

Term insurance should be considerable cheaper, and then you can drop it when you no longer need it.

See that's the thing,I'm not really sure I need it.Five ten years ago yes,but the kids are getting independent,the bills are paid and the Roth account has pretty much become my emergency account that will become the luxury account if it goes till retirement.

Once again just thinking out loud.:)

A few months ago, our service manager aged 46 came downstairs for breakfast and dropped dead with an embolism. Never been ill. Three kids. Wife.Mortgage. Finance. Bills.

You need to consider the scenarios before ditching Life Insurance - they are cheap (unless they are endowments). How much would your wife and kids need if you were to fall off a roof/ladder whilst fixing a door on? Or hit by a truck? And she would also have to pay for all those jobs around the house you currently do (or don't!)

I am lucky that my company pays 3.5 salary in case of death in service (whether I'm at work or not) and permanent disability insurance (the most expensive insurance of all). So what I have on top of that is life insurance to cover the mortgage which diminishes as the mortgage outstanding gets left plus some cheap simple life (term) insurance to ensure the family are covered.

In the UK, we have "free" health care (not including dentistry) and its great if you are seriously ill but pretty basic if not. So the company also pays for private health care cover (which is taxed) for its employees. So we don't have quite the pressure that you guys have from a healthcare point of view.

Mortgage. Finance. Bills.

I have none of these,plus I have accounts which are getting larger by the day.I paid my house off at 40 and I've been putting my money away rather than trying to keep up with the Jonses(or Smiths).This makes my situation more unique as compared to the average Joe Blow.There should be some benifits to living in a shack and not having a life.;)

I'll probably just step down to a minimum of insurance.It's just been that through the process I've noticed that the insurance companies have heavily weighted things in their favor,but of course the have the luxury of betting against the pool whereas I can only bet against myself.

It appears that my insurance company is going to cover the rodent damage to my car (less my deductible). :D :D

I just got a call from the dealer who said the adjuster was in, approved the repair, and gave them a claim number. 'Bout time something went right.

Happy Friday All.

Back