DAW setup?

bullyhill

Back to setting up my DAW and the setup issues are hounding me...again.

I'm planning on utilizing the sata controllers maybe in raid. If in an array I was thinking of two 60gb raid 0 with OS (1) and a small fixed virtual memory swapfile plus browser cache (2) and possibly a temp partition for the audio recording I'd be working on(3). Three partitions. I'm not certain if sharing the OS with the recording drive is a good idea if the OS drive will be accessed or used during recording and playback and taking some of the bandwidth from the audio drive Which I guess is one in the same using raid0 or is raid fast enough to make up for the time it takes for the read/write heads to move from the system area of the drive to where your audio files are kept. And how do you configure the swapfile?I'd then put a 120gb as a long term audio drive for completed recordings.

OR

Put the OS and swap file on a 60gb and the temp audio on another 60, no raid, then a 120 for long term audio?

If so, should I put the 60's on the ide or the sata controller, which is faster? And overall which would be the faster setup to decrease latency and record more tracks, raid or not?

Any ideas or opinions are welcome even if you never setup a DAW, even your gut feeling would be great.

Thanks

I've 2x60 maxtors 7200/8mb/133 and 2x120 barracudas 7200/8mb/100. I'm trying to stay off the pci bus as much as possible.

Gut feel says forget raid 0, sata might be worth a look.

I'd keep 1 drive for audio, 1 for OS. On the OS drive I'd partition it 5/55GB with the 5 for the OS, and the 55 for backup. On the audio drive I'd partition the same, with 55 for audio and 5 for backup. Then you could Ghost your 55GB audio partition to the 55 GB backup on the OS drive, and Ghost your OS partition to the audio drive. You've got complete seperation and redundancy. If either of you drives fry, throw it away and boot off the other one. And you've lost none of your audio

Damb that sounds good
Thanks

I do have sata controllers that I can use to raid 2x60 then throw a 120 on an ide plug and ghost the 2x60 sata raid array?

kiss

i stay away from raid. not worth it. things changing too fast.
waiting for better drive technologies/rotation speeds over 7200
rpm. till then i keep it simple.

Back