DAW Hardware

themdla

So it's about time i built another computer for recording and i was wondering if anyone here had some up to date info on which hardware is the most stable and gets the best performance.

i have a digi 002 interface and i am running cubase 5.

the main questions i'm looking to have answered are:

which processor and why: AMD or Intel?

which chipset/motherboard: nvidia g20n, AMD 790fx, Via kt6000 (i know this varies based on the CPU and all chipsets listed are jokes but you get my drift)

which OS and why: windows 32 or 64-bit? (please list any compatibility issues)

thanks in advance :D

64bit handles more memory, but I also think if your upgrading just to go 64 because everything new is going 64. I'm running Cubase 5.5 (64) and its great. I'm not sure but I also think you need to run 64bit OS to take full advantage of newer CPUs (duo&quads) I also use an SSD for my OS and Cubase because the read speed is so fast, it runs faster than when it was on a 7200 HDD. Also Tech support at Steinberg told me Cubase 5 was designed to be 64bit.

Just a minor word of caution with 64 bit. If you have old 32 bit plugins they might not work. I don't know the extent of the problem, The only one I tried didn't work and I really didn't care so I never put any effort into solving the issue.

yeah i was thinking of going 64bit for the most part...

what do you guys think are the best chipset or processor selcetions?

i've heard it's better to run chipsets that used Texas Instruments based chips... :confused:

Edit: Ok so i found out that most gigabyte boards use TI chipsets for firewire. I bought one for my new build. will let everyone know how it goes :)

Last edited:
Back